What's new

Wiring subwoofers out of phase ? (3 Viewers)

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I was wondering if wiring the positive/negative speaker cables backwards is the same thing as a 180 phase switch on the back of some subs ? The reason I ask is that I had two velodyne subs located in the back of my room and I found that with the phase switch set to 180 that I got better/louder bass. Now I have two subs without a phase switch and was wondering if wiring it backwards would be doing the same thing as the 180 phase switch on the velodynes ?

Also since I have two side subs hooked up to my side speakers, that if I did wire the subs backwards for a 180 phase shift, would it also be a good idea to wire my side speakers backwards as to keep both the side subs and the two side speakers that they are hooked up to at the same phase ? they will be crossed over at 100 hz with my side subs..

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
In each room and situation, only trying and testing/listening will let you know for sure. Ideally, you can put your subs together and leave them in phase, but thats a whole other thread and can of worms.....
Opps, forgot yer main question, yeah, swapping the + and - does the exact same thing as switching the phase from 0 degrees to 180 degrees :)

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Thanks Guys,

Chris, There is a feature on the lex mc-1 called bass enhance. It requires subs to be placed to the sides of the listener. It then creates "stereo" bass by using an algorithm that shifts the phase of the left/ right signals. Thats why I dont have them in one corner. I also have a third sub for the lfe in another corner(front} so phase on the side subs is rather important I believe.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Aaron, which ever position on the phase switch that produces the loudest/tightest bass is what to listen for.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Cool...so that is a sure fire way to see if it needs to be out of phase or not...right?:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks