What's new

WinXP turns down volume (1 Viewer)

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else experience this? I'll go to play mp3's and the wave volume will be turned all the way down. I'll click on the little speaker icon and adjust the volume and then everythings fine. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Greg

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
I noticed a similar problem with Windows Media Player in Win2K. When I played a CD, I set the cd output volume down using the volume control from the system tray. When the next track started, the volume was reset!

I discovered that the volume control in Windows Media Player actually controls the system CD output volume, but not vice versa. If I adjusted the volume from the player and not the system volume control, the setting was saved.

Hope this helps.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
I do use Windows Media to play cd's and mp3's. seems to happen when no programs are running and the computer is idle for a long time. anyone know if its maybe some new feature with winxp?

Greg

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Check the volume slider in WMP. Is it set all the way down? If so, adjust that slider and not the one from the little speaker icon.

GaryAR

Agent
happens all the freakin' time on my laptop. so i turn up the main volume with the little jog dial on the side. then, out of nowhere, a random mouseclick jumps the .wav volume from zilch to all out. this is especially painful when i'm wearing headphones.

as of yet, i haven't found a fix for this.

-gary

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
This happens depending on the sound card or chip your computer has. In some cards, controlling the volume from WMP won't affect the master volume, but in other cards, it does! It all depends on how the sound card or its drivers handles the audio mixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks