What's new

Winter Storms in Western US (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We got hit with a nasty snow storm yesterday. We got 6-7 inches of the wettest, heaviest snow you could imagine. Lots of trees down all over the place. We had a huge limb from the next door neighbor's tree crash into our back yard, barely missing the roof and our air conditioner unit. Also lost some good sized limbs in our front yard. To top it off, the snow plow took out our mailbox. :angry:

Spent the morning and early afternoon digging out the approach to our driveway and cutting up tree limbs. Bought a new mailbox at Home Depot, but need to do some modifications to install it in the existing steel post. My brother-in-law is coming over tomorrow to assist. He has the tools to cut through the steel post.

Also, I ran out of gasoline for the snow blower last night before I finished the 2nd pass at cleaning our driveway and sidewalk. Had to finish using a snow shovel.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Interstate 80 was finally reopened on Friday evening, allowing trucks to make their way out of Sacramento and onto Reno and other destinations. My UPS and Fed Ex Ground shipments that had been stuck for a week are finally starting to arrive.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here is western Michigan this winter has been very, very mild. two bad snowstorms, and that was pretty much it. Not a lot of shoveling this year!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here is western Michigan this winter has been very, very mild. two bad snowstorms, and that was pretty much it. Not a lot of shoveling this year!
The same in mid-Michigan. We were supposed to get a bad winter storm yesterday, but most of the storm drifted south of us and we only received maybe an inch that is all burned off now due to sunny skies and temps in the mid-40's today.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The same in mid-Michigan. We were supposed to get a bad winter storm yesterday, but most of the storm drifted south of us and we only received maybe an inch that is all burned off now due to sunny skies and temps in the mid-40's today.
Yeah, that storm stayed south, right over us (see my post above). Today, though, it's beautiful outside -- sunny, with temps in the 40's. The snow will probably be gone in a few days -- it's supposed to be in the 50's on Monday.

We'll be heading back to South Carolina soon, where our worries will be the heavy spring pollen and Chinese spy balloons. :laugh: FYI, that balloon last month was shot down right over our condo complex in SC. We got down there a couple of days afterwards, and for that entire week watched Coast Guard helicopters flying up and down the beach looking for debris.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, that storm stayed south, right over us (see my post above). Today, though, it's beautiful outside -- sunny, with temps in the 40's. The snow will probably be gone in a few days -- it's supposed to be in the 50's on Monday.

We'll be heading back to South Carolina soon, where our worries will be the heavy spring pollen and Chinese spy balloons. :laugh: FYI, that balloon last month was shot down right over our condo complex in SC. We got down there a couple of days afterwards, and for that entire week watched Coast Guard helicopters flying up and down the beach looking for debris.
Yeah, my best friend just moved to Ann Arbor area, in order to be close to his grandkids and son. Anyhow, I was talking to him on the phone when it started snowing there yesterday afternoon. It didn't begin to spit out snow here until about 7:00 p.m.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don’t like hot anymore, especially with advancing age. I’d rather it be on the cool side.
I'm the exact opposite, and I'll be 65 next month. Living in the Sonoran Desert is heaven for me, and I love the summers here. The cold and snow? You can keep 'em. Nice thing about living where I do is that if I want snow in the winter, I can drive north for 2 1/2 hours, get my fill, then head back to Phoenix. The best of both worlds IMO. I spent 7 years of my life in northeastern Pennsylvania around the turn of the century, and it was hell. I moved back to Arizona with my tail between my legs. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm the exact opposite, and I'll be 65 next month. Living in the Sonoran Desert is heaven for me, and I love the summers here. The cold and snow? You can keep 'em. Nice thing about living where I do is that if I want snow in the winter, I can drive north for 2 1/2 hours, get my fill, then head back to Phoenix. The best of both worlds IMO.
Not me brother, you can keep your 115-120 temps in the summer and the water issues that will continue to worsen in that part of the country.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not me brother, you can keep your 115-120 temps in the summer and the water issues that will continue to worsen in that part of the country.
That's OK with me, Robert. There are over 4.5 million people living here already with thousands more moving to the area every year, so I won't miss you. ;) Nothing personal of course! As for the water situation, I'll be pushing up daisies before it comes to a head.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's OK with me, Robert. There are over 4.5 million people living here already with thousands more moving to the area every year, so I won't miss you. ;) Nothing personal of course! As for the water situation, I'll be pushing up daisies before it comes to a head.
That's another problem with your area. Too many people are moving to that area in which the water supply can't handle it. The desert can't support that many people.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's another problem with your area. Too many people are moving to that area in which the water supply can't handle it.
Absolutely. The drought and the Colorado River water allocation issue is pretty complex, with a lot of it going to agricultural and industrial use, but the booming population in places like Phoenix and Vegas is a real problem, and one that keeps getting worse. The Phoenix metro area is currently the 5th largest city in the U.S. When I first moved here in 1991 the population was "only" 2.4 million.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I haven’t shoveled this much snow since I was a teenager in suburban Philly.
As someone currently in suburban Philly, there has been almost no snow here this year. We had a light dusting back in December and earlier this week, there was snow that turned to rain and neither required shoveling. However, the last couple of Marchs have been frigid so there's still some chance for snow in my mind.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just be glad you don't live in Mammoth, CA. This was taken about 12 hours ago:

1677969105981.png

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks