What's new

Winter Olympics Closing Ceremony - WTH? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Good grief, I went into my kitchen to check and see if the Winter Olympic Closing Ceremony planners didn't steal it so they could put it into their Closing Ceremony tonight.

Did anyone ever expect Kiss to be playing at an Olympic event? I saw some pretty bad lip syncing, but some of the spectacle was cool, but some of it bordered on Moulin Rouge. It was nice in the beginning, but it just got to be too much!

The Grobin/Church duet with the ice dancing pair was pretty good.

Wasn't too crazy about Bon Jovi or Christina Aguilera (what was she not wearing?)

At least the new head of the IOC seems to be pretty cool, unlike that ol' crotchety Samuranch.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was all very entertaining. The closing ceremonies are always pretty cool to watch. It came off to me as purely American. The best part though was when the kids all sang Happy Trails. I thought it was too cute to see all the athletes swaying back and forth and singing along :)

Owen S

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it rocked, all of it. Colorful,musical,contemporary,live,techno (balloon high wire act, skating rink as projection screen)and positive. What's not to like? Christina was the icing on the cake.

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed most of the show. Although I thought they could have easily cut an hour from it and had plenty of on air celebrating. As for Donnie & Marie..... look up lip synching in Websters and you'll see their picture! Personally I didn't care for Kiss 20 years ago much less now. All in all the event was a beautiful sight to watch. I certainly appreciate the effort that went into the production and the artists who chose to actually perform.

Jerry

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
What do you think the likelihood is of the Opening and Closing ceremonies being made available on DVD?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I really liked it, but it went on a little too long.
I enjoyed Kiss' performance, but they could have cut out Gloria Estefan or Earth, Wind and Fire.
I kept waiting (hoping :)) for Christina Aguilera's pants to fall off, man were they cut low or what?
The thing with Scott Hamilton was nice.
The damn idiot commentators on NBC ruined a lot of it by talking through the song and dance numbers though. It's nice if they give some facts between performances, but have them shut up during them, please. And what was up with cutting to Michelle Kwan's moronic niceties during the tap dance number? Argh. Whatever you think of tap dance (I'm no fan), that was just rude and idiotic.
/Mike

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
I was lucky enough to attend with my wife for free (I was a volunteer so got free tickets). The event was so much fun and the bass was unbelievable. Locally I heard that the station cut out the fireworks at the end as it went past the hour. If so where you are, you missed the biggest fireworks show I have ever seen.

I found it strange that KISS was there too; they were an odd choice for the Olympics (especially an Olympics held in conservative Utah!). I would rather have heard more from N'Sync. But they were fun anyway and got the crowd "a-rockin".

By the way, Donnie and Marie likely had to lip sync due to the location that they "sang" from. They were way up in the stands with the spectators and there was likely problems with wireless mikes.

So what did you think of the neon dancers and flourecent liquid stuff? I thought that was really cool!

PS - There were lots of echo's going on in the stadium so anyone who had to lip sync for whatever technical reason, would have had a hard time matching the sound.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
One more thing, I thought the national anthem as sung by 'NSync was GREAT. I'm not a fan of them, but they did a great job of sticking to the original melody, while the arrangement still let them have some fun with it. It was the best performance of the national anthem I've seen at a sports event in a long time (the worst was probably Jessica Simpson's buechering of it before one of the World Series games, if I remember correctly).

/Mike

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Kiss was cool...what better of a song to sing than that! Oh and good to see Katarina Witt is still extremely hot!

I thought the paint was cool at first, but looked like a nightmare afterwards with the athletes on it and the balloons picking up some of the paint. They went back to the closing ceremonies after the local news for more interviews, Moby (rock!), and Bon Jovi and they showed a lot of the fireworks. Throughout the entire thing and the post wrap up I can't help but thinking how awesome it had to look in HD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks