WinDVD doesn't recognize anamorphic video

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dan Rudolph, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I use WinDVD 3.1. Starting a few weeks ago, it plays everythng 1.33:1, including anamorphic video. It used to be fine. I can't find anythign in the preferences to fix this. Any ideas? Intervideo won't support it because it an OEM version.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

sorry I can't help, mine hasn't messed up. I've got 4, and when you right click on a playing video, you can change the way it displays the image. It's under "widescreen mode." I don't know if 3.1 has that feature.

Computers and HTPC Area

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You probably set it to P&S everything

4. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

1.85:1 anamorphic will look like 1.33:1 if the aspect ratio isn't set correctly.

I've never used 3.1, but 2.X has a setting to "lock aspect ratio" or something like that, which determines whether the image proportions need to be modified or not to display properly on non-16x9 equipment.

RD

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I don't think it has a P&S option. Anyway, this isn't P&Sed. It's showing the whole signal in a 4:3 window. 3.1 doesn't have a widescreen option in the right-click menu. I can re-size the window, but I have to eyeball it and I can't resize it in full-screen mode.

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Have you tried accessing the pop-up menu while a movie is playing in full-screen mode? There should be options in there to specify the aspect ratio of your display. You might have accidentally hit a hotkey that alters the active aspect ratio.

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Nope, same menu as usual when in full screen.