What's new

Windows XP bandwidth cap?! (1 Viewer)

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I'm finally making the move from dial-up to DSL. A friend of mine though claims that Windows XP Home Edition has a bandwidth cap of about 250 kpbs. (I think that was the number. He doesn't remember anymore.) He claims the only way to remove the cap is to buy Windows XP Professional. Of course, he doesn't have the OS, has only heard about this on BBSes and claims it's true. I of course don't believe, but would like to prove him wrong. I do know that at my dad's company small office is running DSL at 10 MBPS. What do you guys know about this?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It's total BS. I get 400kbytes/s out of my XP Home Edition laptop on my cable connection.

Jeff Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I'm finally making the move from dial-up to DSL. A friend of mine though claims that Windows XP Home Edition has a bandwidth cap of about 250 kpbs. (I think that was the number. He doesn't remember anymore.) He claims the only way to remove the cap is to buy Windows XP Professional. Of course, he doesn't have the OS, has only heard about this on BBSes and claims it's true. I of course don't believe, but would like to prove him wrong. I do know that at my dad's company small office is running DSL at 10 MBPS. What do you guys know about this?
That is completely not true. I have downloaded files at about 2mb a second on both my Home and Professional editions of XP. Your friend's source is misleading.

Jeff

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
has only heard about this on BBSes and claims it's true
That should have given it away right there! :D

I have had speeds up to 2100 kbps (confirmed from actual downloads and www.2wire.com ) on XP Home Edition. Of course since I moved apartments and went from cable modem to Verizon DSL, my average DL speed has dropped to about 700 kbps...but that's not XP's fault. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks