What's new

Windows PC does not recognize Onkyo receiver after restart (1 Viewer)

chaosmonkey

Auditioning
Real Name
praveen
Hi, I have connected my windows 7 PC running XBMC to my Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver. Every time the receiver goes to standby or turned off and comes back up, the PC fails to recognize the device. It shows up as "disconnected" in the Sound window. I have to disable the device and enable it in the device manager for it to be recognized again. Has anyone else come across similar issues? How do I solve this? Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Make sure the 509 is off before you hook it up to the computer. Assume this isn't a "permanent" connection. If you get an HDMI and leave it connected to the 509 full time, this problem usually goes away. My guess is you keep unplugging the HDMI from the 509 and/or use the same HDMI for other devices...???

chaosmonkey

Auditioning
Real Name
praveen
Thanks! I will try it out. The HDMI that connects to the PC is a permanent one and is connected at all times. I have another HDMI that connects to my Xbox 360 and I have no problems getting audio and video from the xbox between restarts of the receiver. I should also mention that the I have mirrored display between a monitor and the receiver, and I have no issues getting the video working. It is only the audio that is not recognized once I start the receiver.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
This is usually a symptom of a buggy PnP (Plug and Play) implementation. You could try searching for a newer driver for the video card, or updating your receiver's firmware. Otherwise, i'd be interested to see what happens if you cycle power again then run the "Scan for hardware changes wizard". Unfortunately, there are rarely easy fixes to issues like this.

chaosmonkey

Auditioning
Real Name
praveen
David Upton said:
This is usually a symptom of a buggy PnP (Plug and Play) implementation. You could try searching for a newer driver for the video card, or updating your receiver's firmware.
You are right, UPnP would be the main suspect. Did you mean driver for the "sound card" instead of the video card? Onkyo does not provide windows drivers for the receiver. Windows 7 automatically installed its own Microsoft "High definition audio device" driver.
David Upton said:
Otherwise, i'd be interested to see what happens if you cycle power again then run the "Scan for hardware changes wizard". Unfortunately, there are rarely easy fixes to issues like this.
When I power cycle the receiver (but not the PC), the receiver shows up as a disconnected audio device (video is fine). "Scan for hardware changes" does not do anything. The only way to get it to work is to disable the device and enable it.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Typically - you're connecting the HDMI to your video card. The High Definition driver that's installed is a Microsoft default if there's nothing better from your video card manufacturer. For example, both AMD/ATI and nVidia have their own HDMI audio drivers which function much better than the generic Microsoft one. AMD: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/8-2/Pages/hdmi_xp.aspx?&lang=English nVidia: http://www.nvidia.com/object/hdmi_audio_xp_vista_win7_1.00.00.59.html

chaosmonkey

Auditioning
Real Name
praveen
Ahh.. Makes sense. Silly me, of course I have connected the HDMI to the video card. I don't have a discrete video card, so it should be using the Intel HD 4000 integrated video card, that comes with Intel i5 Processors.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The things I don't know...ha. I have two HP, an Acer(laptop) and an Acer Revo. All of them did "what they needed" when first connected. HP has a proprietary and Acer uses RealTek.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Intel's drivers will be what you likely need to update. Note Intel has been known for awful bugs in their HDMI implementation, so don't be shocked if you have to suffer with this for a while. If you want to move to something with a great HDMI Audio driver, I strongly recommend an AMD/ATI based card - they fixed most of their HDMI issues well over a year past now. See here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000%2f2500

chaosmonkey

Auditioning
Real Name
praveen
David Upton said:
Intel's drivers will be what you likely need to update. Note Intel has been known for awful bugs in their HDMI implementation, so don't be shocked if you have to suffer with this for a while. If you want to move to something with a great HDMI Audio driver, I strongly recommend an AMD/ATI based card - they fixed most of their HDMI issues well over a year past now. See here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000%2f2500
Awesome!! This worked. I downloaded the latest drivers manually from the intel website. I used to select the windows option to "search online and update drivers", which obviously looks like it failed. The main change is I now have Intel(R) display audio driver for my sound. Thanks a lot David! Now the receiver is recognized by the PC when it comes back on. I tested the audio with all formats, Digital Dolby, Digital Dolby Plus, DD TrueHD, DTS, DTS HD MA. All except Digital Dolby Plus work. Now sure why DD+ is not working, it works on my PC, when I play it through windows media player. The intel display driver supports DD+. May be an XBMC or my receiver issue. I will look into it some more and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks