Win 98 --------> Win XP Professional: Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I have a chance to snag up a complete windows XP professional disc for a mere $12 at our school's bookstore. My roommate already upgraded his computer and says it's great. I've heard good things about XP from others as well.

-What should I do to prepare for the upgrade?
    -What can I expect?
    -Will All my programs run?
    -Are there any major bugs with the software?

thanks for the help!

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I would upgrade in about one second flat. For me WinXP simply doesn't crash (programs crash but the OS doesn't). Anyway, just make sure you do a fresh install and things should go smooth. I do a lot of HTML and PHP development on my XP box but anything else is usually (VB, COM, C++, JAVA, etc) is done on a W2K machine so I can't comment the stability in a development environment.

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Doesn't it take fairly new PC to succesfully install XP? I'm the farthest thing from an expert here but I would have assumed that a machine that a win98 wouldn't have enough ram to handle XP. If that's not the case then I'll be looking into an upgrade too, rebooting ME several times a day is annoying.

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I was going to post go to 2k instead, but for $12 even I would do it.

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Hey if you dont want the XP Pro for $12 I'll take it off of your hands... Seriously as long as it has a valid certificate.

I think you would be crazy not to as long as your computer is somewhat new and can handle the OS.

KyleS

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Wow, thanks for the great replies everyone....

FYI my computer is a P3-733MHz/128MB RAM, 20 gig HD. The buddy I mentioned in my first post installed it on his Celeron 466MHz laptop, and when I fooled around with it, everything went smooth. Do you guys think I'm good to go?

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

10. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"And am I the only person on the face of this earth who has NOT had problems with Windows ME?!!" Yep, I think so[​IMG]
    Make sure you download service pack 1 from MS. XP has a big bug that can delete a random file.
    or pick up a quick fix at GRC.com
    Brent

11. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

13. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Only thing I hate is the lack of DOS for my ancient games... I STILL WANT TO PLAY THEM! [​IMG]
    Ah well, a small hard drive and a dual OS setup works well for me in that respect... for everything BUT Dos, I'm enjoying XP Pro a lot. A legit copy would be even better... for $12 i see no reason not to at least try it... [​IMG]

14. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

I've been thinking of getting XP as well. Would a 400MHz Celeron be fast enough (to run it well)? I have 256MB RAM BTW.

Peter

15. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I have found that older games run better on XP than on 2000. This on a P3-500, 288MB RAM, 66MHz FSB.

My wife runs XP on a P2-350 with 96 MB RAM. She says it runs fine for her uses.

For fun (and because I was getting C++ runtime errors on IE in Win98), I installed XP on my notebook, which is a P-233 MX, 64 MB RAM. It's real slow, but it runs.

As for the Celeron 400, it really depends on what you would be doing with it, but it should be ok.

16. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

The only major problem I had when I went from 98 to XP is that XP HATED my old Matrox card. I bought an inexpensive Gforce card, and things have been extremely stable sunce then (more stable than 98).

18. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

I would go for the upgrade, but bump the RAM up from 128MB to at least 256MB. With RAM prices much lower than they were a few years ago, you may even see if you can go to 512MB. XP should run fine on a P3-733 with 256+MB of RAM. Get Service Pack 1 to fix the Remote Assistance exploit (which could be used to delete files from your computer without your permission).

Though it is Win2K-based, XP seems to do a better job of running old DOS/Win9x apps than Windows 2000, due to enhancements made to the application compatibility layer. On my system, it seems to create less "jerky" interference with games than Windows 2000 did. Win9x is still best for playing DOS-based games; WinXP is best for Win32-based games.

I turned off the new-style user interface and went back to the Win2K menu structure, which makes more sense to me (I work a lot with Win2K servers at work).

Also, turn OFF simplified file sharing (which is turned ON by default). You may not wish to share your drive with others. Simplified file sharing also hides the "Security" tab from the properties dialogs for files/folders. You may wish to be able to see NTFSv5 permissions and make changes to them, especially if you are security-conscious...

19. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    True. But I didn't mean games that were THAT old. Since I build my own systems, I'm gonna eventually put together a dedicated DOS system using my older equipment. I still have some legacy hardware laying around. I used to be pretty good at configuring DOS boxes. I'd like to see if I can still pull it off. [​IMG]

20. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

again, thanks for the wonderful feedback everyone...

What's the best way to find out what 'type' of RAM I should buy? In other words, what kinda RAM is compatible with my computer?

Also, would I be able to play SimCity 2000-DOS version w/ XP?