What's new

Will somebody please claim ownership of MELODY? (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I have found myself very frustrated in trying to determine who owns the U.S. DVD rights to Waris Hussein's charming youth drama MELODY, starring Jack Wild and Mark Lester. I am hoping that someone will step forward and clear up the matter.

MELODY was a three-way production of Hemdale, Sagittarius, and Goodtimes Enterprises, released in the U.S. by a small defunct company called Levitt-Pickman. It's last appearance in the U.S. was as a videocassette and CED disc release from Embassy Video. I do not know who was responsible for licensing the title to Embassy, however. I had long believed that MGM owned the movie via their acquisition of the Hemdale library, but they have insisted that they do not have it. Therefore, that leaves two more companies to investigate.

Sagittarius was a short-lived and sporadic producer of films (their last was oddly enough another Hemdale co-production in the '80's - A BREED APART). The bulk of their important films were released by Paramount: CHARLOTTE'S WEB, SEARCH FOR BRIDEY MURPHY, THE OPTIMISTS.

Goodtimes was a company based in the UK run by David Puttnam, and partially financed by the former EMI. They backed PERFORMANCE, LISZTOMANIA, THAT'LL BE THE DAY and STARDUST.

So my hunches are that
A) StudioCanal owns the title via Goodtimes. Now that their deal with Anchor Bay is over, and their current deal with Fox only covers DEG titles, I don't know who would take it on;
B) A few independently made Sagittarius productions were sold off to Viacom in the '70's for television and other non-theatrical exploitation. This could explain the Embassy pickup, as they handled both some Viacom (HIGH RISK, THE WASHINGTON AFFAIR) and Hemdale (SPECIAL EFFECTS) catalog product. Which means that Paramount would have the rights.

Can some kind intrepid sould speak up and say who to pester? Normally I do that sort of thing, and I'm at a loss.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
One of my very favorite films as a child. The impact it had on me as a small boy was enormous, I still vividly recall scenes and music from the film, even though I haven't seen it in almost 30 years.

I wish I knew who owns it, but sorry, I don't. It was released on DVD in Hong Kong, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore...very upsetting!

One of those films that if I ever see it listed as a pre-order, I'd drop to my knees & cry with happiness.

TedD

Supporting Actor
I also remember this film with fondness, and would buy a decent transfer on DVD in a heartbeat.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks