What's new

will I need a progressive scan DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I will be taking delivery of my first HDTV tomorrow. I ordered a Toshiba 57HDX82 and this TV supports progressive scan. I have 3 DVD players but they don't support that feature. I am wondering if I can wait a while or will I be missing something special with out this feature? If the difference is like night and day I will order a new DVD player with progressive scan. If it is a minor difference then I would like to wait.

I tried to search for this topic but it search locks up on me. Probably because its been beat to death.

thanks
Chris

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't say it's a night and day difference, but it's a nicer picture. Maybe you could borrow someones else's to see the difference and then decide if it's worth it to you right now.

You definitely want to go prog scan eventually.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I'll agree that it's not a night and day difference. If you already own a good interlaced player you don't need to upgrade to progressive scan immediately.
Your Toshiba has a good line doubler and does 3/2 pulldown in Movie mode.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Our buddies are correct. I'd like to point out, however, that the deinterlacing chips and 2:3-pulldown compensation circuits are usually better-performing in the prog-scan DVD players. And a few players boast true progressive-scan signal paths. They would be much preferable. These differences can be noticed on your very sophisticated display. I recommend purchasing one as soon as time and budget allow. (Congrats on the Tosh!)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Thanks Everyone,

I definently plan to go and pick up a progressive scan DVD player soon. Its just that I am way over budget buying this new TV. Because of this I wanted to hold off for a while on a new DVD player.

Chris

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Hey John:
Can you change that link in your sig. to say "DVI/DHCP" instead of just DVI? When I first read it, I thought, "what's wrong w/ DVI? I use it to hook up my monitor to my computer."

Just a friendly observation.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The Toshiba's 3:2 pulldown is pretty darn good. While there is a noticeable difference on my 65H80 between running my interlaced Sony and my progressive Malata players (why the hell do I have five DVD players, anyway?), it's not enormous. If you've got a good DVD player, I wouldn't rush right off for a progressive player unless you don't mind spending money for smallish tweaks.

Just seeing the difference between interlaced video and 3:2 pulldown will astonish you much more than the difference between the 3:2 on the Tosh and going progressive scan, IMHO. You can always wait a few months until you're used to the new look, then get a progressive scan player from CC or someplace else with a generous return policy and see if the upgrade is worth it.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Thanks for the info mark...

I have 3 DVD players myself. 2 of them are pretty old. The first one is a first generation RCA RC5200P. The second one is a Panasonic DVD-A112. It is about 3 or 4 years old now. Last year I purchased a Sampo DVE-611 over the internet for $89. Believe it or not the Sampo is most likely my best DVD player right now.

About 30 minutes ago I was clearing out and making way for my new TV. The cord for my Panasonic player was caught on a leg and fell on the floor when I moved my couch. It dropped about 2 feet on carpet so its probably okay. If not I will go out and buy a $200 range progressive scan DVD player. Thinking Toshiba SD4800.

I might give the Sampo a try as well. It has component outputs. Plus I don't think the Panasonic or RCA offer any 16x9 modes. I know the Sampo does.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
The first DVD player I tried on my new TV is my Panasonic DVD-A112. I could not believe how horrible the picture looked. The colors were not as deep and it had alot of grain in the picture. I then tried my Sampo DVE-611 with component video outputs. The colors were much better and absolutly no grain at all. I then switched back to the regular RCA video hook up and it still looked alot better then my A112. Also the 611 has some 16x9 modes that the Panasonic does not offer.

Since my best DVD player is now an $89.00 special I am going to bite the bullit and upgrade this next week. I thinking about keeping it in the family and going with the Toshiba SD4800. Like every DVD player it has its pro's and con's. If somebody make a better one for $200 I might go with them instead. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks