What's new

Will "B" speakers still work? (1 Viewer)

Ron Duca

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about adding a 5 channel amp to my system and use my Yamaha RX-V995 as a pre/pro. I currently have a pair of outdoor speakers connected to the "B" speaker jacks of my receiver. Does the line signal that will be sent from the receiver to the amp apply only to the "A" speakers, allowing me to still use the "B" speaker connections on the receiver for my outdoor speakers?

Thanks,

Ron

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the two are related at all. If you hook up an external amp to the preouts, that doesn't affect any of the speaker outputs on your receiver, so you should still be able to use the A and the B outputs. At least, I don't see any reason why not.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I really doubt it. The B speaker connections typically share the same amps in the receiver. I know in the case of the Yamaha RX-V1 they specify that if you use A and B together you have to be more careful of the speaker's impedance. I can't remember the specifics, but I believe 4ohm is the minumum recommended speaker, unless you use A and B then the minimum is 8ohm. With the RX-V1 when you plug something into the pre-out, a pin is lifted and the signal to the amp is cut. I'm guessing that will cut the signal to the amp which feeds both outputs. Plug an RCA cable into the pre-out and see what happens.

There might be a way around this though. You could use a y-cable to connect the pre-out to the amp and the pre-in. Then turn off the A speakers. However this could reduce the signal to the amp which could cause a loss of volume. Only way to know is to test with your receiver.

Now I realize I'm going to have problems with my plans. I intend to put all my gear in my computer room which will be adjacent to the theater in my new house. I was going to run a set of speakers using the B connections for the computer room and just turn them on or off depending on the room I'm in. However when I add an external amp, I'm going to have the same problem as you. I was going to use the room two connection for the family room, I may have to put a switch in for that.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I see Saurav posted while I was writing mine. Let me specify that I know with the RX-V1, which is the only model I have first hand knowledge of regarding this, that when you plug something into the pre-out, you lose the connection to the internal amp. There's a bug in the RX-V1 where that connection comes loose, and you have to plug something into the pre-out then remove it or loop a wire between the in and out, and it works again. When this happened to me, both A and B were disabled until I applied the fix.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
With the RX-V1 when you plug something into the pre-out, a pin is lifted and the signal to the amp is cut.
Crucial piece of information that I didn't know :) You're right, my suggestion won't work at all if this is how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks