What's new

Will 720p output from the HD-A1 hurt my display? (1 Viewer)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Now that I have my new HD-A1 hooked up, I tried a SD DVD just to see the 480p results (my Mitsu is component only). Leaving the HD-A1 in 1080i mode, and letting the TV change scan rates automatically was quite clunky, and I was looking into alternatives. When the player is left at a 1080i output, the display has to change scan rates when it starts reading the DVD, resulting in a 2 second picture blackout. On some SD-DVDs, the opening menu is upconverted just fine, but when the feature starts… So, I am looking at changing the output to 480p prior to loading a SD-DVD (that way, it does not change scan rates at all). My question is, when cycling through the available output rates, I must pass over 720p, and my Mitsu doesn't support that scan rate (480i/p, 1080i only). I have a friend that fried his computer monitor by forcing it to use an unsupported resolution and scan rate, and I don't want the same thing for my HT. Do I just need to have the display off when I pass over 720p, or am I worrying for nothing?

P.S. What does everyone else do with the movie in 1080i and the supplemental stuff in 480p? Am I simply stuck with the (really tacky looking) transition between the high-def menu, and the standard def extras?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
This must be a peculiarity with your television; I'm using component and I don't have these delays that you're describing.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Mark, I have a Mitsu 65511, and it has always had about a second blank screen when it establishes the scan rate. Up to now, this has only been when the TV is first turned on (by habit, I would always turn the DVD player on first), but on the rare occation where I would switch between interlaced and progressive while the TV was on, the screen will blank for about a second as the new scan rate is registered.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I know nothing of your TV - but most computer monitors do not have scalers like HDtv's do... will your TV not show a 720p signal at all, or is it scaling a 720p signal to 1080i for display? If it's converting it shouldn't matter at all what resolution you send the TV (other than the obvious PQ differences)... most monitors I've used simply don't show a picture when you send them something they can't handle...never heard of them being damaged before.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Just my 2 cents, but that sounds like a lot of trouble to go through just to avoid the short resolution change.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
David, of course you are right. To my O/C eyes, this just looks kinda tacky, so if there is a workaround, I would like to find it....:)

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator
Derek, the switch through 720P won't hurt our Mits TVs. The sets don't try to sync to the signal. It's like you turned off the player with the set still on. If I remember right, the Mits just automatically drops to 480i, which is why it has to resync when you get back to 1080i.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks