What's new

Why Wont My SR-4200 Decode DTS? (1 Viewer)

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my sr-4200 for a while now and have decided for the first time to try and watch gladiator in dts, however when I have the DVD player set to play dts with the gladiator disc in and switch the Marantz to dts mode no sound comes out, any idea why?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From the Primer for Newcomers in the HT basics area:
First time Using DTS on my system and there is no sound when selecting DTS on a DVD. Dolby Digital and music are working though, why?
All three of these things MUST be present and configured for DTS playback:
1) Your receiver must be set to "Auto detect" or forced to DTS decoding.
2) In your DVD player's digital audio setup menu, you must ENABLE DTS. Dolby digital is on by default, and on 99.9% of players, DTS is NOT turned on from the factory.
3) Select the DTS track in the disc's setup menu.
Note also that this assumes you are using a digital (optical or coaxial) connection. If you are using the analog pre-outs from a DVD player with built in decoding, then your configurations must be done in the DVD player's setup entirely.

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply, I had done the first two but not set it up in the DVD's menu, I just presumed it would be sending that signal anyway. I can now see what difference their is between standard dolby digital 5.1 and dts now, thanks again.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No problem. Here are a few of my favorite discs for sound:

The standards: Terminator2:UE (ES), Titan AE (DTS), Toy Story 2 (EX), From Hell (DTS), Star Wars:TPM (EX), Fight Club:SE (DD), Gladiator:CE (ES), The Haunting (DTS), U-571 (DTS), JP3 (DTS), Superspeedway:Mach II (ES)

Some others that are often overlooked or underrated: Abyss:SE (DD), Se7en:SE (ES), Blade (DD), Contact (DD), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (DTS), Final Fantasy (DD), Iron Giant (DD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks