What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Why no VA Commentaries on the Simpson DVDs? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
They have the voice of Bender on the Futurama sets, wich was a nice touch, so why not have the Simpsons Cast on the Simpson Discs? Especially after having them perform the voices on 'Inside The Actors Studio', using the old 'it would ruin the illusion' bit won't work anymore :).

If anything, it should help liven up the commentaries and give the current folks some new things to think up and say..

Haden

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it would be great to have a few of them on there, maybe saying things in-character that you'd never hear them say in an episode, like the hilarious commentaries on the new Family Guy set where they do quite a bit of cussing. :)

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
IIRC Matt Groening don't want the VA to perform "live" (as in front of an audience).
Maybe he wants Homer, Bart, Marge & Co to exist only on the screen, not as "real" characters...

Vincent

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
For those who were confused as I was, "VA" means "voice actor". I guess it could also mean "vocal artist". Could we have a little clarification here?

Neil

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
ok then, if he wants the characters to stay on screen, why not do what they did for the Alf Commentary on 'The Alf Files' and for Muppets in Space. Have the characters talk over the episodes, instead of the voice actors....

Haden

Supporting Actor
Yes, the voice actors are in the commentaries for Family Guy. The creator of the show (Seth McFarlane) also happens to do several voices in the show. Of the main cast, he voices Peter Griffin, Brian the dog, and Stewie. The actress who voices Peter's wife is also on the commentaries, as well as Seth Green who voices their oldest son. I'm loving these commentaries so far because occasionally they'll break into talking like their characters, saying things you'd never hear on the show (ie. profanity).

That reminds me of when Harry Shearer and Dan Castlenetta appeared together on an ep of Conan O'Brien and did a bit of their Simpsons characters saying odd things. At one point Harry did a Burns/Smithers dialogue with Burns seducing Smithers. It was really funny :)

Haden

Supporting Actor
And 3-4 years ago, the entire voice cast (WITH Matt Groening narrating) did a live reading of one of their episode scripts on stage at the Aspen Comedy Festival. I heard it was amazingly funny. Would be cool if that was taped for inclusion on a future DVD set.

I think this whole rumor of Groening not wanting the actors to be seen doing their character voices on camera is bullsh*t. They've done it many times when they appeared on Conan O'Brien. The "Inside the Actor's Studio" appearance mentioned above also contradicts this rumor, and then that Aspen Comedy Festival event with Groening personally involved makes it obvious that he has no problem with this.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, Julie Kavner was not shown while doing the voice.
Not the only time she's displayed an aversion to being seen acting as Marge. I remember she appeared on Letterman years ago and would only offer some vocal work after she used her hands to cover her mouth...

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
A little off topic but when the Simpson's cast was on "Inside the Actor's Studio", Julie Kavner disappeared during the second half of the program without anyone mentioning it. Does anyone know what happened? Also, didn't that show seem a little rushed and truncated?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The shwo was rushed because they had six people on a show who's length, pace, structure, etc are designed for one. They shoudl haave done an extra long episode.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
But isn't Julie Kavner's regular voice the one she uses for Marge (or atleast the ones she uses in regular movies)? It sure as heck sounds like it!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
But isn't Julie Kavner's regular voice the one she uses for Marge (or atleast the ones she uses in regular movies)? It sure as heck sounds like it!
No. The voices aren't dissimilar, but there are differences. It's definitely not just her normal speaking voice...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks