What's new

Why isn't NHT more popular? (1 Viewer)

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Haru...

I understand!! Now 4 AC-2's with a sub on 1 pair. That sounds great!! Good luck!!

P.S. I would stick with what you have now, until you get the 2.9's for the rear.

DonJ

Second Unit
6ave.com has the NHT VT 1.4 for only 499.97 a pair!!!!!that less than half retail and for the whole HT setup is 1299.99 thats a no brainer!!!!

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
I run VT2.4s, 5 VS2.4s, and 2 Sub2i subwoofers off of a Denon 4802. I spent close to 6 months looking at other speakers and it came down to the NHTs and the Revel Performa series. I didn't hear any diff to make me spend more money on the Revels even though they are awesome speakers.

The new evolution series has been getting rave reviews l8ly. My plan was to move into seperates starting with the amps, then go to a pre/pro, and finally replace my existing NHT speakers with whatever Revel has in production at that time. Well, I'm beginning to rethink my plans as I am extremely satisfied with what I have put together and may just stick with whatever NHT has in production at the time.

It also seems to me that one pays a lot for a fancy enclosure on some speakers. I prefer the glossy black look of the NHTs as there is something about all black components that is just cool. I have also read a review that stated that many people may not like the sound of the NHTs since they are so transparent and reveal any and every flaw in a recording. I'd prefer that over a speaker that actually "affects" a recording.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
after watching LOTR this weekend, I've decided that the 1.5 is a wonderful match for the 2.9 fronts and

a. I am not interested in upgrading to 2.5i's in the back
b. a set of four AC-2s would cost me $2.4k or so (for 7.1), where as I can add a set of 1.5s for ($275) for the 7.1. The sound quality difference between the two doesn't BEGIN to justify the 8x $ investment it would take. For now, I will buy a pair of 1.5s, and if in a couple of years I can get 4 used, good conditions AC-2s for cheap, I might take the plunge then. But its not likely.

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I used to own a pair of SuperOnes, and really didn't care for them at all. I regretted purchasing them, and replaced them with a pair of Paradigm Titans or Atoms (don't recall which) after about a year.

The SuperOnes were being powered with a small Arcam integrated amp, and they sounded too cold/bright/fatiguing to me. Perhaps if I'd used a Marantz, HK, or other warmer sounding amp I may have been more satisfied with the NHTs.

I do still own an NHT SW2Pi 10" subwoofer, however, and I'm quite happy with it. It works very nicely with my Paradigm Active/20 speakers. It's the only real subwoofer I've owned so I don't have anything else to compare it to, but it sounds tight and musical to me. And it was a good deal -- a store demo at about half of the normal retail cost.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
Funny how people's taste's vary so. I consider the Super One one of the all time greats. I've owned two pairs (not any more) and want to get another pair to use as near field monitors for my PC. I have my eyes out for a pair on ebay....

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Haru...

I hear that LOTR has a lot of LF content. If there is a nice amount in the rears, how did your 1.5's handle it?
For two ch listening (w/sub), the 1.5's or the Super 1's/2's?

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
LOTR DOES have a lot of LF content, and it was first time since I got the two SubTwoi's that I got to give them a work out. THe sub's didn't break a sweat, or ever seem to be even reaching 30% of potential. However, the building must have aged 30 years. Just a superb cinematic expereince. I do not believe I made such good use of my Home Theater as with LOTR, and I am counting everything, not just LF sound.

I have the rear speakers set to small so the receiver sends everything below 80 Hz to the LFE channel, i.e. the subs. I really can't speak how much different it would sound if were running them full range, but for the way I have them set up, the performance of the 1.5s was exemplary. THey are a perfect match for the 2.9 because when a sound moves from front to back, neither its sonic character nor its dynamic intensity varies. I suppose that if I were to do critical tests to compare the 1.5 and the 2.9 side by side, the .9 would blow the 1.5 away, but for where my 1.5s are, they're perfectly fine. At no point did they call attention to themselves for not being good enough.

The 2.9s are crossed over to the subs at 50Hz and during the entire LOTR, I was never aware where the bass was coming from. It just filled the room.

currently, I am running the subs in stereo, one sitting next to each front speaker. I am considering setting all speakers to small, crossing over at 80Hz. Then I could stick the two subs in a corner and run them mono off the LFE output. The controller could be taken completely out of the loop, and thats a good thing since bass processing in the digital is best. I'll see how I like that. If it turns out that the 80Hz crossover frequency is not ideal, then I'll go back to the controller.

As to your question about the 1.5 vs superone or supertwo, thats a trickier situation. It depends on your application. No doubt the 1.5 is a smoother, more musical, more transparent speaker. If you want to listen to music and have a sub, this is the one to get. If you don't have a sub, the super two beats it hands down. Its got much more potent dynamics and LF extension that really leave the 1.5 gasping. And even though the 1.5 has a better midrange and top end, the super two also has a very pleasing sonic character than is different from the 1.5s. its as much a question of personal taste as anything else.

The 1.5 has the same advantages over the Super One that it does over the Super Two. but it does cost twice as much. The Super One, like the Super Two, it has a pleasing sonic character all its own, but it does not have the Super Two's extension/dynamic capability. However, it is a SUPERB monitor, and if you want to use the speaker for monitoring purposes, the Super One is THE one. thats why I am trying to get hold of a set to use on my PC.

But bottom line is, if you were to say, "recommend one, never mind the cost. I have a sub", I would say the 1.5 without hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks