What's new

Why isn't NHT more popular? (1 Viewer)

AdamO

Grip
I was curious as to why NHT isn't more popular around here? Is NHT more of a specialized sound? I've heard some people say they don't care for the "crisp" sound most NHT products produce. Or is it that you can buy other brands for less that have similar quality levels?

As always, thanks for any comments.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Well I've owned a pair of NHT 3.3s for about four years now and I love them. The (now discontinued) 3.3, 2.9, and Super One and Zero are still highly regarded speakers. As far as value goes, I haven't heard a speaker under $10,000 that I like better than my 3.3s.

That said, NHT has gone down hill. The new Super Series sounds terrible, is overpriced, and is made in China. And athough I haven't heard the new series that's replacing the Music and Home Theater series, I've heard accounts that they are inferior to the ones they're replacing. All good things must end.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Well, I've heard so many great things about the NHT 3.3, things that say it will compare with the best speakers twice its price...but I haven't heard it personally. I'm not too sure why its not getting more mention though, perhaps its newer speakers aren't as good?

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I have a pair of NHT VT2's and a pair of VT1.2's. I think both of these speakers were some of their best but unfortunately they have both been discontinued and replaced by bipolar models (which themselves have already been discontinued).

Since Recoton bought them out they don't seem to have a real good game plan and I think they made a mistake in dumping both the VT series (the older ones VT2 and VT1.2) and the music series 2 years ago.

If you can find any of the older models (VT2, VT1.2, 2.9, 3.3 are the better models) they are some great speakers in their price range.

Their new Revolution line looks interesting but I have heard nothing about them (they just showed up about 1 month ago). I think this line has a good chance to succeed and they are pretty unique in their price range with outboard crossovers, amps and a seperate box for the mid range/tweeter than can either sit on a stand OR be placed on their sub box. I'd be really surprised if this new line didn't sound very good. I think they could really be in trouble if this new line isn't successful.

ken thompson

Second Unit
There are a lot of speakers that dont get much attention arond here. Dont feel bad. I've got Bostons which in my opinion "blow anything away at twice the price" but you rarely hear anything about them either.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Well, NHT is not UNpopular here, just not as talked about. I helped a newbie friend get setup recently with the original NHT SuperOnes (he got a good deal) and Outlaw 1050 receiver. He is enjoying them immensely.

NHT has gone through quite a bit of transition over the years after the departure of Ken Kantor and then acquisition by Recotan.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I've heard the new SB2 and SB3, and they sound great. Slightly overpriced; drop 25% off of the MSRP and these would be steals.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I completely agree on pricing that pricing is the problem, not the quality of the speakers. The new bookshelf speakers sound very good, but are in a price class competing with speakers that sound better, while there are a number of speakers that cost less and sound nearly or just as good. I very much like the SB3.

AdamO

Grip
Thanks for the comments. My point for the post was more curiosity then complaining. I purchased a complete NHT setup a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier with it. When I was researching the setup it become apparent that the NHT's were well liked by their owners but not very popular on a whole.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
My rig is run with (original) VT-2's for the front/rear with Super Two towers for my side spks. Clean, powerful, and dynamic. Oh yea...piano black.

AdamO

Grip
I have:

Fronts: NHT SuperTwo's
Center: NHT SuperCenter
Surrounds: NHT SuperZero's
Subwoofer: NHT SuperSub

I'm still breaking them in and playing around with speaker placement, settings, etc., however I'm very happy with my new setup. Once I get a new digital camera cord (my friend seems to have forgotten to return my cord) I'll post some pictures. The setup looks great in my apartment. I ordered some surround speaker stands, new (larger) dvd rack, and a DVD player tonight. My setup is almost complete!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Adam -

What do you find different when you run the system with/without the SuperSub? Do the 2's hold their own?

Will you calibrate eventually?

- C

AdamO

Grip
The SuperTwo's are more then sufficient base wise. The down firing subs are great for music and even most movies. Because of some limitations with my room I have the SuperSub next to my sofa. I usually keep it low and for deep base only, unless I'm watching a movie then I'll turn it up for a little extra rumbling.

Yes, I plan to eventually calibrate the system. I'm waiting to get my DVD player and some new furniture for the living room.

Larry Vale

Auditioning
I've got a Lexicon MC1 system with a pair of 3.3's as mains, AC2's and sides + Velodyne HGS 12's for the low end on the sides and a pair of SB2's for rears ceiling mounted along with a Bag End ELF18 in back of me.

And, just purchased 2 more pairs of SB2's for fronts and rears with an AC2 as my center. Using a 12" Cambridge Soundworks powered sub in the bedroom which is the weak link in that room.

I purchased the bedroom SB2's from a guy that had that as his starting price on ebay. Just called him directly since he was obviously a dealer and ordered them for $250 per pair.

I think they're super speakers for the money and the ones from China the SB2's match the 3.3's high end very well. They use a metal tweeter too.

A man earlier complained that the new ones were made in China. Ummm....everyone seems to be raving about a whole lot of speakers that are made in China now!! They have better fit and finish than most domestic product at anywhere near the same price. The labor rate can't be beat!

I suspect that recoton possibly has lost their way not in quality but in the marketing of their product. The do no advertising to the tweaks like us anymore...not on web sites in any case and don't have a whole lot of people Rah Rah'ing their every move similar to SVS subs or AV123's Diva's...which are made in China as well. Also Aperion Audios are now coming from China and I bet if you start looking at a lot of other speaker lines...volume lines that is, you'd find they are made there as well.

Speakers are probably the most subjectively evaluated products within a HT system and unless a company is consistent and chooses their target markets well they can get lost in the shuffle.

Quality, value, and sound wise I don't think they take a back seat to any other speakers in their price/performance range.

all of course IMHO

Larry

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I suspect that recoton possibly has lost their way not in quality but in the marketing of their product. The do no advertising to the tweaks like us anymore...not on web sites in any case and don't have a whole lot of people Rah Rah'ing their every move similar to SVS subs or AV123's Diva's...which are made in China as well. Also Aperion Audios are now coming from China and I bet if you start looking at a lot of other speaker lines...volume lines that is, you'd find they are made there as well.
You are dead on. A while back, someone was asking for a sub recommendation for about $400. I recommended the NHT Sub Twoi at $400 (list $800) as opposed to the Adire Rava at the same price. Now don't get me wrong, Adire makes good products as I have Shiva drivers. However, when the manufacturer chimes in on this forum and answers questions and basically provides the presale service - it's tough to compete with that. I also wonder if NHT under Recotan supports their dealers that strongly as I see large markdowns on NHT stuff quite frequently on the net.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Too few (loyal and committed) distributors. Simple as that. NHT, hello? are you listening ?

It is all marketing.

I honestly have never heard them, only read about them on the net and rags. They have a great following. And they have the history/research behind them to battle Paradigm, which beffudles me!!!

I would love to be their new US National Sales Manager (having 20 years sales experience myself). ;^).... Kinda makes one ponder where there focus is at.

Seems every response here is from users. How about prospects ? I am kidding, but the sales job is open for discussion B^)

BOK

Gerry East

Auditioning
I don't know why NHTs aren't more popular. I have a pair of SuperTwos as my mains, and they are fantastic, the best speakers I've ever had. Though they are great for HT, they are even better for music. If I could find another pair, I would use them as surrounds as well. Failing that, would I be happy with the SuperOne XUs for surrounds? Thanks for any replies.

Larry Vale

Auditioning
On the sales and marketing thing again,
A volume local dealer that does a lot of home installs, just dropped NHT and put Paradigm in even tho the salesman I talked to (I've known him for 15+ years) likes NHT much better. This was over a rep firm change and some fight the owner had with the new firm.
:frowning:
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks