What's new

Why isn't GYMKATA on DVD yet?! (1 Viewer)

Haden

Supporting Actor
No... seriously. :)

This 80s martial arts/gymnastics film has gained legendary status over the years as one of the worst films ever because of it's cheesyness, bad acting, stupid plot, and the way it takes itself so seriously. As many have said before, "It's so bad, it's good." I used to catch this a lot whenever it aired on late night cable because it's awfulness is just hilarious to watch and mock with friends. There's some sick demented part of me that wants to own this "classic" on DVD. So.. where is it??

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Haden:

Thank you oh so much for reminding me about this film. I was reading up on it on IMDB, and I forgot about some of the hilarious parts of this movie, including the man who cuts off his hand for no apparent reason, the man with two faces, and the man with a cloak with no backside.

And who can forget the conveniently placed gymnastics gear like high bars and pommel horses?

I have to watch this movie again...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Add me to the list of people (okay, the couple of people;) ) who would like to own this. This is one of the first martial arts (if you can actually call it that) film that I saw on video. Being that, it has definitely scarred my mind enough into thinking that I would actually enjoy this movie again. I constantly reference it to a friend of mine who studies karate, by threatening to take up gymnastics and karate at the same time so I can meld it into the deadly art of GYMKATA, and thereby shame him with a suppior style of martial arts.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Yes, I want this on DVD so that I can specifically show a friend of mine the scene in the town of the Crazies where the gymnast hero conveniently finds a stone pommel horse in the town square and starts using it to spin around and kick his attackers one at a time. And let's not forget the long drawn out 5-minute slow motion run to get out of the town. Hehehehehe

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Want to know how I first say GYMKATA?

We had one of those free HBO weekends back in 1987, and I wanted to tape ALIENS really bad. So I set the VCR to tape.

Well, as happens so often, I got the wrong time...so I didn't get ALIENS...but I got BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA and GYMKATA instead!

I think I watched BIG TROUBLE a zillion times and GYMKATA a few...GYMKATA is good in a MST3K sort of way...

Haden

Supporting Actor
Gymkata was practically MADE for MST3K. I'm surprised they never did an episode for it.

So, does anyone know who actually owns the video rights for this thing? I'm surprised Anchor Bay hasn't tried to get it since it's a legendary classic in bad movies. Just judging the reviews on IMDB, I'm sure a lot of people would want to own this... comedy. :)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Warner Brothers owns "Gymkata" through their acquisition of the Turner library...

Be prepared to wait a LONG time for this title to come out.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Cheesiness, thy name is "Gymkata"!;)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
The skill of gymnastics...the kill of karate! A double feature of this and American Anthem would fulfill any gymnast/acting crossovers I could ever desire.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'll glady see you the Beta copy I have stored away somewhere. Although there might be a few cobwebs on it. ;)

I'd forgotten all about this cheese-fest. :D

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
The thing is, anyone who wants to release Gymkata must first complete the Gymkata... and there's no way that can happen a SECOND time (somewhere a studio executive is bent at the foot of a dark altar whispering "sequel"...).

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
LOL, I had forgotten about the stone pommel horse! Too funny!

I'd buy it to add to my comedy DVD selection.

MikeSilver

Stunt Coordinator
A friend and I MST3K'd it in the theatre years before there was MST3K! It was one of the best bad movies I've ever seen. :D

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
It might be a Warner brothers title ( through turner ) but it really smells like an MGM title waiting to happen ....just dont expect a widescreen transfer...or a trailer or anything except this horrid film ...agreed so bad that its good !!!!...I'd keep an eye out for a total dump bin on this one.. MGM has all those "classic" Ninja movies from the 80's.. Enter the ninja , Revenge of the ninja , and the best of the bunch...Ninja 3 : the domination just waiting for a release !.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks