What's new

Why is DONNIE DARKO so popular? (includes DIRECTOR's CUT disc.) (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I saw the Directors Cut last night. I enjoyed it immensely. Saw it with a great audience and the theatre was surprisingly almost full and thats great considering it is a movie that has been re released and it was a late showing.
So is the Directors cut doing good financially?

Interesting interview with Richard Kelly here...

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18334

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
We saw the DC in Ann Arbor (where the University of Michigan is). It was packed 100% full to the point that people were turned away. They ended up having another showing "due to popular demand" a few weeks later.

Anyway, I enjoyed the DC. I thought the little text blurbs helped add clarity to the story. In fact, we were still a bit confused about the movie :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't get all the hype that it gets. I liked it. I found it very interesting to watch, it's very well done, and I would watch it again, but I don't think it is as good as all of the hype says it is. $6 at BestBuy.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
A good movie. I own the original dvd and liked it alot. I couldn't figure it out either so I caved and searched the web. Its explained fairly well and makes ok sense after you get the idea. I'm not sure I'll like the directors cut, but I may check it out but I'd be surprised if I like it more. I checked out the link explaining the differences. A few of the changes and cuts are ok, but some are un-acceptable. The halloween party music change is devastating. There is a certain way two characters enter the frame in that scene, and there is something communicated in the cinematography that works so well I would use the scene as an example of good movie making. It doesn't communicate anything shocking, but its subtle and appropriate, expanding and deepening the story just a bit. The accompanying music "Under the Milkway" is perfect, and doesn't hit you over the head with anything, and also leaves you guessing what the future could hold, or may hold. Never Tear us Apart sounds like the wrong song to use. Oh well. When does the DVD come out? Is it already out? I'll check around out of curiousity anyways.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I saw it for the first time this week. Donnie Darko in its original theatrical version.

I like it. Richard Kelly feels like the real thing, a heir successor to David Lynch. I felt like I was watching a Lynch picture from the overall tone and the film’s editing style.

The big surprise came when I realize, by the end, this movie is a super hero picture.

This next statement is meant to be taken as a compliment but while watching this movie, it rather reminded me of the first five Nightmare on Elm St. pictures. Possibly because the movie is set in the 80s dealing with teen protagonists.

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Saw it quite some time ago, completely unaware of any hype. I must say I liked it a lot. The film, especially the usage of the music, stayed with me for many days. I will buy the DVD because it's one of those movies you just have to watch again. I wonder how it will be the second time around ... Usually, these "need-to-see-it-again" type of movies end up high on my list of favorites.

------------
Alex Cremers

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
OK, I bought the DC, and aside from the extra cut in sequences, the only difference I noticed was the Song in the beginning was changed. Anyone else notice any other changes? Lets compile a list. the Original Vs. the DC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks