What's new

Why is DONNIE DARKO so popular? (includes DIRECTOR's CUT disc.) (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I was one of the few who saw this film on its initial theatrical run, and the film completely blew me away. Such a mezmerizing masterpiece, and one of my top 10 favorite films of all time. I adore everything about it. Original, beyond intriguing, quirky, touching, darkly hilarious, creepy, mind bending, and truly awe inspiring, this film is all that and more! There are so many little things and touches that add so much to the movie too, and I have watched the film well over 50 times I'm sure. I love it so much, and I look very forward to seeing the director's cut.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

Since I prefer to stay away from popular movies - I didn't feel a need to ever watch Donnie Darko but the above quote has made me interested. Is this a scary movie? It has been a long time since I've been creeped out from a horror movie.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Does anybody remember the laugh of Lisa "One Night" Standing from The Abyss - that is my LOL to the above quote.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Reading the review at aintitcool.com my first question was:

"Why this director's cut?"

To me Donnie Darko was perfect the way it was. Maybe Richard Kelly should move on?

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Since this isn't an OFFICIAL discussion thread and there are likely some people that haven't seen the movie checking this thread, I'll use spoiler tags

Went out and saw the DC last night (never been happier to live in the Seattle area) and I have to say that the sci-fi/mythological ascpects are more in the forefront of this cut. I was waiting on a friend of mine so I came in right as Donnie gets home and sees "Where's Donnie?" written on the fridge. I'm guessing there wasn't anything added to the first minutes (though I could be wrong) but changing "The Killing Moon" to "Never Tear Us Apart" definitely stuck out. Not for the worse, just different since I've seen the movie so many times. Kelley made good use of the music so whenever I hear "Killing Moon" or "Under the Milky Way" I think of Donne riding his bike or at the party. I'd need to see the opening again to judge wether "Never Tear Us Apart" fits well. The aforementioned songs are still in the film, just in different spots and don't worry, "Head Over Heels," "Notorious" and of course "Mad World" are intact. The added scenes work quite well. Some scenes that didn't make the initial DVD release are great as are some from the DVD like the scene between Eddie and Donnie in the garden. Going back the the sci-fi/mythos aspect , The Philosophy of Time Travel much more prominent and I think Kelly uses it well. I especially liked the mention of the one who can summon fire and water. One thing that made me angry was that the sound was altered during the talent show so you no longer hear "GET OFF THE STAGE CHERITA!" as people applaud for her. I always loved that line but I guess they removed it since the kids are already meaner to her than in the theaterical cut because the line "Hey, Porky Pig. I hope you get molested" has been reinserted. All-in-all an interesting version of a masterpiece.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a strange change - the line was needed. No way the kids that constantly taunt her would let her get away with that dance without some comment.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think American Beauty and Donnie Darko are very similar films. If you like one I think you'd like the other. A good double feature.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I found American Beauty to be more enjoyable than Donnie Darko, which I found to be good, but felt unfinished to me. After reading about the director's opinion on how the movie wasn't exactly what he wanted, I kind of understand. The version I recall seeing felt like a rough cut. I'm interested in revisiting the theatrical cut again though, as it's been almost 3 years... but with the director's cut, I'm also very very interested in. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I saw it. Because I do recall being very interested in the film.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I hated, hated, HATED every moment of American Beauty - well, maybe not every moment, there were a few moments in Beauty with Mena Suvari and Thora Birch that were not without merit, but other than that it was an awful awful film. I just could not see the point in the whole bloody film, and it made me angry. I revisited it, hoping to see what I missed, and hated it even more.

Donnie Darko, on the other hand, grabbed me the first time I saw it, and it continues to fascinate me every time I watch it.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Matthew, I do agree American Beauty isn't a good movie. I think it is very overrated. The movie just didn't feel like it was taking any risks or chances. The DC of Donnie Darko sounds interesting tio check out (even though I feel the ending of Donnie makes teh movie very pointless).

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
There's a whole write up in the current Entertainment Weekly about this movie. Glad to see this movie is getting the press it deserves....this time.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The reason I draw the comparison between American Beauty and Donnie Darko is they both are satire on American suburban life. It's the satire that makes Darko a good film and very funny. Sure, it has the curve ball of the time travel element but the general tone of most of the film is dead on with American Beauty.

It seems as if with the directors cut what we're going to get is more of the sci fi time travel element added to the film. I see Donnie Darko as a comedy and a very good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks