Why don't we see more branch seaming to create multiple versions of a movie on disk?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I own two that represent this: Independence Day and Terminator II: Ultimate Edition. The viewer has the choice of watching the theatrical version or special edition version with the "deleted scenes" INTEGRATED within the movie. With all of these movies being released, including the upcoming Phantom Menace and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, just to name a couple, why don't we see more like T2 and ID4? I think this is a great feature.
    [Edited last by Dave H on August 19, 2001 at 08:33 PM]

2. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Many older players seem to have a problem properly playing discs with seamless branching, which might be a reason why some studios aren't fully utilizing this feature. Cheaper off-brand players are also less-than-reliable on this front. After my Philips Magnavox player died after over two years of loyal service, I went cheap and got a Samsung to replace it... hoo boy, big mistake. It stuttered and skipped on THE ABYSS, which was unforgivable... so the Samsung got returned, and I'm now the happy owner of a Sony player. I'll never go cheap again!
    ------------------
    My collection:
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...=Kriegersaurus

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    The short answer is that the director(s) doesn't want another version available.
    T2 and Abyss have a second edit which are approved by Cameron, therefore they multiple versions are available by seamless branching.
    Most scenes are deleted for a reason, and the director took them out and doesn't want them put back into the movie. For exampl 'X-Men.' The deleted scenes are available via extended branching, which means you have to actively press a button to make them play in about the spot they would have gone, but Bryan Singer specifically didn't want them available via a second cut of the movie.

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It is also more work, meaning it costs more. Same reason they aren't using pan and scan on the fly to please J6P.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc