What's new

Why does onkyo say this? (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Some devices with digital outputs do not gurantee that all the signals it can produce will come out the digital port.

For example: some Digital Cable box's have both analog and digital outputs. But only some channels, usually above 100, send sound out the digital port. When the users pick a lower station to watch, the sound cuts out unless they also have analog connections hooked up, and the receiver is set to "auto-detect" the switch.

Have you heard of the new super-audio and HDCD players? If you pop in a regular CD, it comes out the digital port. Pop in a DVD, it comes out the digital port. Pop in a SACD - the high-resolution sound only comes out the analog ports.

So I think thats why they recommend hooking up both analog and digital outputs.

Hope this helps.

PomingF

Second Unit
The key words here are 'whenever possible'. I don't have any technical explanation for it but DON'T have all the connection to my TX-DS939 this way both for simplicity & lack of cables when I first started out (~5 yrs ago). My HT has been running flawlessly since then.

PF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks