What's new

Why does my Tab button do this? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
This rarely ever happens, but when it does, it's f**cking annoying as hell.
I'll be typing a paper or my short stories when I start a new paragraph. I use the tab button to indent. But for some strange reason, the tab button will switch programs on me (eg. from Microsoft Word to Internet Explorer).
How do I stop this?
:angry:

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Which OS are you using? I'm guessing 95/98 or ME, right? I remember this happening to me as well... Trying to remember how I fixed it... I think I just did a alt-tab combo, which will switch tasks, but will also reset the tab button. Or maybe I quit the word processor and restarted it? Can't remember. I also had problems with caps lock being stuck on. It's just a bug, if you upgrade to a real OS like Win2000 or XP that should go away. Good luck!

- Mike

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've seen it many times before and not necessarily in Windows, it can even happen in DOS. The Alt key or the Ctrl key or even the Windows key can get stuck. Here's how you unstick it: hold down the left Alt key (or whichever one is stuck), press and release the corresponding key on the right side of the keyboard, then release the left key.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice. I hit the Alt key once, and the problem seemed to go away. Evidently, the Alt key gets "stucked" if you do use the Alt Tab button (I do so every once in a while).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks