What's new

Why are R2 HKL DVD's better? (1 Viewer)

John DeLuca

Stunt Coordinator
Having a region free DVD opens many doors in DVD viewing. I've been seriously getting into HK DVD's lately and I noticed over at www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com that most of their recommend DVD's are R2. Is there a reason that the R2 versions are that much better? I'm psyched to buy Iron Monkey because when my wife and I went to the movies this weekend, we saw a preview for it and it looks great. I get home and notice that this is already on DVD. I could buy the one here or order the R2 version from Amazon.uk but I just want to know the reason. Thanks.

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
Bullets 'n Babes is (unless I am much mistaken) based in the UK. I don't know if that makes them prone to favor R2 releases.
But anyway, Hong Kong Legends are well known for producing very high quality releases, often with very interesting extras.
Then of course PAL discs do have a technical advantage (more scan lines) over their NTSC equivalents. But, as have been mentioned in other threads, that advantage means little if the transfer and/or source material is below par.
The HKL releases that I own are all excellent. I especially like those that have a commentary track by Bey Logan. I am so looking forward to the HKL release of Jackie Chan's excellent Police Story, which will have a commentary by Mr. Logan. (Release date 09/24 if memory serves me right)

Chad B.

Second Unit
Hong Kong Legends is considered by many to be the Criterion of martial arts films. All of their titles are 16:9 enhanced, whereas most other releases are not. They also restore each film and always have some nice extras as well. I own 20 of the current 24 available HKL titles and plan to collect the rest. They are that good! Check out their site for more detailed information on each title including their coming soon list which spans through all of 2002. :)
Link Removed
------------------
CDs | DVDs | VCDs | VGs

John DeLuca

Stunt Coordinator
That's exactly the info I was looking for guys. Thanks alot. It's great having the option to play these DVD's. It's sure killing my wallet though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks