What's new

Why are people such nasty SOBs when they drive? (2 Viewers)

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Why are they Such SOB'S?

I'll tell you why.! Becuse Those uptight Baby Boomers who had to drop $65K on their new SUV so they look "THE PART" that gets 3 feet to the gallon costs an arm and a leg to insure and there is no place to park. and the significant other is bitching that they need another Car for taking the kids to the mall. No wonder these dipshits are pissed off.

Then there are the people who Just dont Give a FLYING FUCK about noone. When I deal with these ballonheads on the "PIKE" I wish i still had my old 69 Caddy Coupe Deville, that will turn any car in to scrap faster than you can say Double Latte.

LewB

Screenwriter
'The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive'

I have a new 'makes life worth living moment' ....
I was passed on the right by some bozo in a low slung honda the other day. Said bozo had mandatory reversed baseball cap, had seat slung so far back that you could barely see him. The car had tires whose aspect ratio must have been 10, with a bazooka tail pipe that made the car sound like my sears lawnmower. The bozo then zipped into the left lane, then right lane. You know the drill. Well, out of nowhere comes a police car, lights on and moving like he meant business. The bozo got pulled over. Man did I let out a cheer. :D :D :D :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No worries Zen, they'll be a beer-cup holder on there.

As far a driving goes, I just go and ignore the rest. Speeder's, rude drivers, whatever, just go around me.

Peace Out~:D

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I was passed on the right by some bozo in a low slung honda the other day. Said bozo had mandatory reversed baseball cap, had seat slung so far back that you could barely see him. The car had tires whose aspect ratio must have been 10, with a bazooka tail pipe that made the car sound like my sears lawnmower. The bozo then zipped into the left lane, then right lane. You know the drill. Well, out of nowhere comes a police car, lights on and moving like he meant business. The bozo got pulled over. Man did I let out a cheer.
I had a similar experience, some punk in a Jetta passed me like I was standing still and I was doing 70 (in a 65, I know im not perfect) a mile down the road a state boy nailed him.

I’m sure the wannabe bozo got everything he deserved.

But if you where not passing someone what where you doing in the left anyway? Or did he not give you enough time to merge back? My biggest pet peeve is where I live we have a bunch of left hand highway exits. But people get into the left lane miles and miles ahead of the exit going below the speed limit. Mind you there is not much traffic around here. Then they come up to someone who has the decency to stay in the right hand lane while doing 5mph under so the whole road is blocked off. Lazy SOB's.

Second pet peeve, the same "wannabe bozo" who does twice the speed limit in a residual zone, where my future house will be and my future kids will play. Yes my kids should not be in the road, but kids will be kids, or this person could loose control. I would surely be permanently banned from the HTF if I put into words how I feel about that.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Similar to some people on the internet. These people wouldn't have nearly the bravado if you were speaking with them face to face. It's almost amusing..almost.
I would love the opportunity to get face to face with the people I described in my post. Yelling at there car going down the street does not seem to work.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I hate when you're in the middle lane on a road, and the people in the right lane get mad at you because their lane merges into the middle lane and you can't let them in due to traffic situations. If they had of read the signs, they would have been able to be prepared and be able to get over to the middle lane before the merge. They just don't pay attention. Guess they're too busy doing other things to pay attention to the road and the road signs.

Kevin-M

Agent
I was passed on the right by some bozo in a low slung honda the other day. Said bozo had mandatory reversed baseball cap, had seat slung so far back that you could barely see him. The car had tires whose aspect ratio must have been 10, with a bazooka tail pipe that made the car sound like my sears lawnmower. The bozo then zipped into the left lane, then right lane. You know the drill. Well, out of nowhere comes a police car, lights on and moving like he meant business. The bozo got pulled over. Man did I let out a cheer.
I had a similar experience, but the driver did pay for it. I was driving down the highway when a porsche 911 blew past me and conitnued on, weaving from lane to lane trying to get ahead of all the cars, as if you can do that with the "endless" stream of cars on a highway. he had disappeared out of sight and my girlfriend and I continued to chat for a while. I noticed traffic was slowing quite a bit, and when I had nearly come to a stop, what did I see? The 911 upside down in a ditch 10 feet below street level.

The guy turned out alright as he was standing there shaking his head, but it gave me a smile to know his reckless driving was going to cost him several thousand dollars in repairs to his car.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
When people get behind the wheel, typically their overall lifestyle and demeanor comes out and is displayed in their driving attitudes. A little old lady who is kinda forgetful may forget to turn her blinker on, may pull in front of you having never seen you etc etc...

But then you have those people who care about nothing or anyone except that they are the center of the universe and all others must bow to their superiority. They also are in an environment when they can be even more obnoxious nad they look for every opportunity to justify their belief that they are first in all things.

Then you have those who have patience and understanding that a few seconds wait for someone else to make that lazy turn or drive slowly over that next hill, just have the knowledge that being laid back gives you less stress and keeps that angry side of the world at bay.

Some people just don't need a car. They seem to think it is a right to have a car, licence, and a road to be on. But some realize it is just a privilege and try to maintain it that way.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
If you guys would just drive a little faster and stay in the right lane we wouldn't have this problem. :b

I always feel like I'm the middle guy between the 50 ton SUV going 100mph and the 100yo Grandma going 25mph. The worst is when you have both front and side lanes blocked by folks going the same inadequate speed to let me get out of the way of the SUV driver looking to run me over.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I live in Atlanta. We have one of the worst traffic problems in the US. I get pissed off on a daily basis it seems like, it can't be healthy.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of reasons why you get bad behaviour, including:

(a) An increased detachment from the immediate surroundings. Increased soundproofing and smoother suspensions, added to loud stereo systems mean that drivers feel increasingly divorced from the world around them.

(b) A misplaced sense of safety. A sad fact is that traffic fatalities didn't alter one bit after seat belts were made mandatory in the UK. People started to drive faster. :frowning: [And no, I don't advocate not wearing a seat belt].

(c) A feeling of 'who will stop me if I misbehave?'. This is now beginning to be checked by increased use of speed cameras (at least in the UK it is).

(d) A case of familiarity breeds contempt. Most accidents occur within a few miles of home. Even when you partial out the explanations of tiredness and short trips, this is still a valid statistic, indicating that if a person is on familiar territory, they are less vigilant.

(e) Conforming to peer standards. E.g. driving aggressively or in a dangerous manner under the misplaced belief that this is technically good driving (the moron who can't keep in the same lane but has to hop between them every few yards is a prime example of this).

(f) Having a car way too powerful for the driver's capabilities. Is the term 'boy racer' in use in the USA?

(g) The erroneous belief that the (almost invariably male) driver has the right to carve up other drivers out of the belief that this establishes their status as the alpha male.

(h) The rich tosser who thinks that because they've spent treble the average amount on their car that this gives them commensurately greater privileges.

(i) The prevailing culture of 'rush rush rush'. In the UK, around the commuter area of London this is especially bad. E.g. when I used to drive around there regularly, I twice stopped on a narrow road to let on one occasion an ambulance and on the other occasion a hearse pass through. On both occasions, other cars overtook me, blocking the way for the hearse/ambulance.

Of course naturally I am a very careful driver. :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
(f) Having a car way too powerful for the driver's capabilities. Is the term 'boy racer' in use in the USA?
As far as I can tell the average american car isn't in any danger of being called "too powerful". You'd need about $60,000 for the corvette to get into that club.

And I've never heard anyone called a "boy racer". But we do have SQUID for insanely powerful (Read: 9 second 1/4 miles out the showroom door) motorcycles riden by clueless newbie riders.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
(h) The rich tosser who thinks that because they've spent treble the average amount on their car that this gives them commensurately greater privileges.
Oooo... good one. Hence my utter disdain/dislike for any Mercedes driver. They seem to think they own the roads around here. Although another friend describes the rich ladies of leisure driving their S-Classes as people who "think the car will drive itself"... :D

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
And I've never heard anyone called a "boy racer".
Garrett, the term is well-known in the UK (sorry, I thought it was an American term). It describes a male in his late teens/early twenties who at all cost must have a fast car. He can't afford one (thank goodness) so instead buys a clapped-out 'hot hatch'. [Okay, more translation work - a few years ago various car makers (okay, automobile manufacturers) brought out turbo-charged versions of conventional small town cars (hatchbacks - hence, hot hatch). The best known of these was the Golf Turbo, but there were plenty of others].

Distinguishing marks of boy racer:

(a) baseball cap (usually on backwards)
(b) car accessories worth more than the car
(c) utter disregard for common sense - e.g. huge spoilers will be attached to the car in preference to mending the conspicuous rust patches
(d) boy racer will be accompanied by at least three of his mates, and if after 7.00 p.m., mates will all have cans of lager in their hands, have the windows down and be singing loudly.

If by some scientific miracle, a Neanderthal man could be revived and let loose in the community, he would avoid boy racers for being too uncouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks