What's new

Why are DVDs more expensive than VHS now? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think the situation is not unlike vinyl and CDs - at first CDs were scarce and very expensive, then they reached more or less parity with vinyl prices, then vinyl became relatiely cheaper again, then you got bargain range CDs from artists you'd heard of (as opposed to 'The Bratislavan Symphony Orchestra plays The Beatles'). As several people have already wisely commented, it's all a case of what the market can handle.

I think it's worth adding that VHS tapes don't stand repeated playings as well as DVDs, and then there's tape rot which seems to affect all tapes (as opposed to DVD rot, which seems to affect isolated batches). So, in the case of movies you're going to watch a lot over the years, a DVD is a better buy since you won't have to replace it as often.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Plain and simple: I've never paid more than $20 for a DVD. DVDs are CHEAP. So long as they stay under $20, I'll keep shelling out my hard earned cash and won't complain one bit.

CDs, on the other hand - I've bought only 1 in the past 5 years, and will never buy one again. High prices ($17 everywhere I look), copy protection, and just the general stink of the industry keeps me away.

Really, $17 for an hour of entertainment, or $18 for a good 4 hours worth (including special features, etc)? It's a no-brainer which is the better value.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Really, $17 for an hour of entertainment, or $18 for a good 4 hours worth (including special features, etc)? It's a no-brainer which is the better value.
Except that I get much more use out of a CD than a DVD - I'll play it while I'm at work, cleaning the house, etc. That hour-long CD will likely provide me with more entertainment than the 4-hour DVD over the course of its life.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
My concern with CD here, as mentioned is "Why haven't they gone done?" Or more importantly the "older" CDs never go down in price. It's actually the opposite. A new release seems to sell for a good discount when it comes out (ok that's similar to DVD). Then the price goes up (again similar) but a year or 2 later the price doesn't drop like with DVDs. They keep going up and up. I recently was going to purchase all teh Diana Krall discs but couldn't beleive they were all $25!
Yet the new one was $18!

Really, I find all older releases are way overpriced.

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I'm adding my voice to the chorus that thinks that DVD's are, on a whole, a good value at the $19.99 - $14.99 range.

It is true that the cost to press a CD or DVD is cheaper than analog tape duplication, but that cost is such a fraction of the total cost of production that it doesn't figure much into the equation.

The music industry doesn't seem to understand that consumers no longer feel that their cost/value ratio is in-line. More than a dollar a song just isn't acceptable any more. They could learn a thing or two from the success of DVD sales.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Except that I get much more use out of a CD than a DVD
So corporations should price products based on how much use you'll get out of them? I envision single men paying $800 for a microwave because, since they'll use it more often than the oven, it's obviously worth more money. ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not solely, obviously... But, if I'm going to get more use out of the CD than the DVD, it is in a way more valuable to me and thus worth the extra money. And, since media companies have exclusive rights to specific titles, there's no competition to bring the prices down - just that "perceived value" is linked to newness.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

There is only $1000 worth of platic, metal, and rubber in a Ferrari, that does not mean its not worth $100,000.

A disc and a tape may only cost a couple bucks, but there are also costs involved with every step of the process. Remember, your $30 for Lord of The Rings:EE goes towards Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, New Line (etc), and everyone involved in creating the disc. All this means there will be more money for Future Films from these people. Its called business.

I for one am happy to fork over good cash for good product.

Consumer buys a product = industry makes a profit = industry gives consumer a job = more product gets made.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
Never really thought about it because it really does not seem that crucial to me. I could really care less about how much a dvd costs. if I feel the film is essential for my collection, I'll pay whatever I need to so I can obtain it. I could also care less what format it's on, as long as it's a good copy and lives up to the directors vision. dvd happens to be the format right now so this is my focus. I did just purchase my very first LD player and if the only way to watch a film is on vhs...then I'll buy that too. I agree with it's just supply and demand. we are just cattle, chewing up whats fed to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks