What's new

Why are companies making 4:3 HDTVs. (1 Viewer)

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I may not know a lot about HDTV, but does it not seem extremely underhanded and stupid for companies to be manufacturing and selling 4:3 HDTVs. If I walked into a store wanting to buy a hdtv what are my chances of the salesperson telling me, hey well if you want to look at big black bars for the next few years go ahead. I don't think that salespeople mean to mislead customers, but if they don't they arent going to be able to sell the sets that are 4:3.
Can someone please explain where these 4:3 sets are supposed to fit into the equation because all I keep hearing is about how HDTV broadcasts are all going to get 16:9.
Aaron Wilson

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
Well, I have a 55" HD ready set and so far with 3 satellite sources plus OTA, 95 percent of watched programming is still in 4:3 mode, at least in NTSC format, not all areas have much high def available to them yet and it could quite some time before they do, and even when that happens, the 4:3 will be around a few years yet, even HBO in high def is upconverting most of their broadcasting in 4:3 yet. When one buys a large screen set, one the reasons for a lot of us is to get as much picture area as possible for the money and the 4:3 delivers, at least for pan and scan programming. For myself, when HD programming is commonplace, then a 16:9 set is the way to go. For those that watch a lot of dvd's, then thats a different story.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Can someone please explain where these 4:3 sets are supposed to fit into the equation because all I keep hearing is about how HDTV broadcasts are all going to get 16:9.
Some people watch programming other than HDTV.
------------------
Link Removed
I prefer to listen to my music in its Original Aspect Ratio: Stereo.

CRyan

Screenwriter
And to be honest, at this point in the game it is not deffinate that 16:9 is going to be the successor here. It is possible that DIGITAL TV will become the next standard here in the US and that does not mean 16:9. Who knows anymore. I sure don't and I do own a 16:9 TV.
C. Ryan

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
The question is not "why are companies making 4:3 HDTV sets" but rather "why are companies making 16:9 HDTV sets." See the Mitsu + DVDO vs Pioneer thread on the TV's and Projectors group.
-Abdul

Scott MS

Auditioning
I have 250+ plus channels available to me in 4:3 480i/480p and 4 channels (plus the demo channel) in 16:9 1080i -- and I have every HDTV channel I can possibly get living in Phoenix! And out of those 4 HDTV channels, two are networks (NBC and ABC) and the only shows on those two networks in HDTV are Jay Leno, the ABC Saturday Night movie, and NYPD Blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks