What's new

Who'd Like To See "Animaniacs?" (1 Viewer)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
WB has issued lots of superhero cartoons on DVD, but none of the comedy cartoons they made around the same time -- not even "Animaniacs," which in its prime was the second-most popular so-called "kids' show" on TV (until studio politics caused it to move to the so-called WB "network," and ratings sank).

Since the first season of Animaniacs was 65 episodes, it wouldn't be practical to call for a season set (though I'd buy it), but why not a disc of the first five episodes, like we got with Batman? The first five episodes of Animaniacs, to refresh our memory, were:

1: De-Zanitized (the Warners meet Dr. Scratchansniff and "Mr. Puppethead"), The Monkey Song (calypso number introducing all the characters), Nighty-Night Toon (parody of "Goodnight, Moon")
2: Yakko's World (all the countries in the world, as sung by Yakko Warner), Cookies for Einstein (the Warners meet Albert Einstein), Win Big (debut of Pinky and the Brain)
3: H.M.S. Yakko (Gilbert & Sullivan musical), Slappy Goes Walnuts (debut of Slappy Squirrel)
4: Hooked on a Ceiling (the Warners try to help Michelangelo "paint naked people all over a church"), Goodfeathers: The Beginning
5: Taming of the Screwy (Dr. Scratchansniff gives the Warners an extended etiquette lesson)

That doesn't begin to scratch the surface of all the great stuff this show produced in its first 65 (oh, to see "King Yakko" or "The Warners' 65th Anniversary Special" or "Bumbie's Mom" on DVD!), but it would be a start. Commentary would be nice -- two of the show's writers, Paul Rugg and Sherri Stoner, were also voice actors and comedians, and would be hilarious in a commentary track. But the show's the thing. WB has just forgotten that its Spielberg co-productions were as great in their own way as the more merchandise-friendly superhero cartoons.

Anyone else wishing for the Warner Brothers (and the Warner Sister) on DVD?

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Id LOVE Animaniacs on DVD.
Actually I was close to buying a VHS last week..
I'd especially like the Star Wars parody episode.

"Heelllloooo, Nurse!"

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
I think many of us would love to see the Animaniacs on DVD, specially in season sets. WB owns the rights to so many animated titles that it becomes frustrating when you think about it. When, and if they do release Animaniacs one day, I hope Tiny Toons comes along too.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Egad! Did you read my mind? I was just thinking about this yesterday as I listened to the old albums I have on CD. I would kill for Animaniacs on DVD.
I'd especially like the Star Wars parody episode.
Which one? There were like fifty of them. :D I'm guessing you mean the one with the big green alien they keep calling Yoda and at one point, they ask him if they can drive the spaceship and he grunts and the subtitles say "No" and they add in the word "problem."
Okay, enough geeking out for one night. :b

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I would love this, too. But the question I ask myself is whether I would buy a boxset (or maybe even more). A "Best Of" would be the best way to go, but that would be a bad idea simply because it is.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Yakko, Wakko and Dot on DVD?? YES !!!
If they did a "Best of" approach, they could have:
- Boo the chicken/Slappy the Squirrel disc
- Rita and Runt/Mindy and Button disc
- Good Idea Bad Idea/Mime Time/Wheel of Morality/Dot's Poetry combo disc
- Musical segments and Concerts disc
- Hollywood/Movie spoofs disc
- Warner Backlot antics/Water Tower hijinks disc
- Science Fiction & Superhero spoofs disc
- Fairy Tales & Disney Spoofs disc
Any other ideas?
Perhaps Steven Spielberg is waiting until Indiana Jones comes out before he releases them on DVD. ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
112th out of 2300 show titles at TVShowsOnDVD.com.
You never know. Let WB know you want it, and maybe you'll get your wish! I gotta run, but I'm sure there's an 800# at WB's website that you can use to order DVDs from the studio. Call it and ask them, "Can I buy Animaniacs on DVD?" They'll get the message.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I would get this a heartbeat along with Pinky and The Brain released in box sets. They can totally leave out the ones with Elmira though on the Pinky shows...boy did she make it suck!

Han

Second Unit
I'd especially want the episode with all the mixed up team-ups. Like Katie Ka-Boo, Mindy and the Brain, Pinky and Rita, etc. That was claaaassic!

This 90s-2002 generation of WB animations has really been a great revival or sorts. I'm surprised they haven't put together anything substantial on the big screen. Though there are talks of the classic characters getting a treatment soon, this new generation IMO has been great.

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
I would snap up episode-based Animaniacs discs in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even mind best-of discs, but only if they didn't chop up the episodes themselves for the sake of an all-Hippo disc, for example (many episodes had little running gags throughout all the toons...mainly the security guard chasing the Warners, but still!)...

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

"I think so, Brain, but this time you wear the tu-tu."

I want the episode of the Hackysack Sack-Kicking Shoe Co., as well as the "Brainy-the-Pooh" episode.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'll buy it. And I would like to see the show in chronological order. I think that half-season sets or something putting the first season into a couple of separate sets would work better.

MPI has 40 episodes per disc set of "Dark Shadows," so perhaps this is an OK example.

Han

Second Unit
Is it just me. Or does anyone else thinks the Family Guy was inspired partially by Animaniacs?
I've only watched one episode after the first season (mostly because I could never figure out when it came on anymore). "Stupid Fox!" as Homer Simpson would say.
Anyway, Family Guy seemed more like "The Critic" with even more politically incorrect humor.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see Animaniacs DVDs. Though they don't continue into one another, I'd love to see them in boxed sets in episodic order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks