Who remembers seeing Naked Gun 2.5 @ the theatre?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JackJD, Feb 17, 2002.

1. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

It seems to me that the video has been altered... As I remember the ending at the theatre, R.Goulet flies out the window and we (the audience) hear

"AAAAAhhhhhhhhhh(as in falling)...n a clear day..." (as in singing). I remember this vividly because I almost fell out of my seat laughing. In the present DVD version (also on the older LD) the singing is missing leaving just a falling sound effect... bummer, and extremely unfunny! Anyone else remember this? I've never seen this discussed before and EVERY time I watch the film again it infuriates me! Anyone know the reason for the edit? Perhaps there were copyright problems with the song? I would love to see this film as I enjoyed it originally in the theatre. Why do the studios insist on altering these films, do they think we're so stupid/unobservant that we won't notice this stuff? Or do they simply not care? Any thoughts? -JD

2. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    If they did not have the rights to the song or lost the rights to the song, then they could not include it in the home video release without being sued.
    I don't think it was a case of Paramount being malicious. [​IMG]

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I remember Goulet singing while he was falling.

~T

4. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I also remember that, although I did not recall the specific song.

5. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Fellas, I feel alot better now knowing I didn't dream this or something... I could not find anyone to back me up on this! No one seemed to remember... I guess most of the population is that unobservant... (in reference to my earlier statements/thread) Does anyone know what happened that made them change/modify the video (DVD/LD) version? And... why this thread is here now? This thread is about the altering of a film presented on DVD and LaserDisc software... the home video version... Did I miss something? Cheers -JD

6. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    Quite possibly they didn't get the rights to the song in the first place, and then someone noticed and either demanded a large fee or refused to license the song. Or maybe they had a change of heart after seeing how it was used in the finished film.