What's new

Who else collected "Volume" (UK), the book/CD compilations? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I personally love all the material released on the Link Removed label. I was originally on a crusade to find a single song (which appeared on Volume 6) and ended up collecting #1-17. Most of it is now out of print, if not all of it. Each booklet was about 292 pages long, the length and width of a jewel case, and featured articles and in-depth interviews with every artist featured on the CD (an average of 19 songs) affixed to the back cover.
The above link gives you an idea of the artists featured on the various compilations that Volume released. From trance, trip-hop, alternative, sadcore, and rap... it really ran the gambit.
Does anyone else, anyone at all, collect or even remember this series? It introduced me to a wealth of wonderful music I ordinarily would have never discovered.
I just think it's time to pay tribute to this witty, candid and informative periodical.
Joseph

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I was a big fan of them, they were pushed heavily in British independent record stores at the time.

The same team did "Trance Europe Express" - early collections of what became electronica. Incredibly brilliant collections.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I have a bunch of these as well; some nice exclusive mixes of tracks I like on them and exclusive stuff too. I've never seen the vocal 'wasted' version of Orbital's Belfast anywhere else, and its a thing of beauty. The first Trance Europe Express introduced me to The Black Dog (part of which since became the rather brilliant Plaid), so thats another reason for me to be thankful...

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Bump!
I've never seen the vocal 'wasted' version of Orbital's Belfast anywhere else, and its a thing of beauty.
I second that, Ian. It's a gorgeous rendition that very few have heard (especially in the states). Not that most people give a toss about much of the music on there.
[puke mode] haven't you heard? we live in a 'Carson Daly on total request LIVE' nation now! [/puke mode] ugh...
BrianB - I agree, Trance Europe Express (especially the first three) is a brilliant set.
I would also recommend the #15 Technology Alert 2-disc issue. It's similar to TEE, with a very strange CDR. Alabama 3 (which was pretty much discovered by Volume if I'm not mistaken) does the opening theme song to The Sopranos on HBO.
I can't think of another compilation anywhere that would have the audacity to put Consolidated and Red House Painters on the same disc! F-ing beautiful if you ask me. :D
Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks