What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (5 Viewers)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
schtan said:
A lovely man. He will be missed.
Yup, a real one of a kind like all the greats, hopefully not too long before great looking Blu's of:

Lord Jim
What's New Pussycat
How To Steal A Million
The Ruling Class
My Favorite Year

SultanOfWhat

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Nice view as the vehicle drives by (keep watching until about the 9 minute mark, where the second shot ends):

loa_zpseb4a3fd0.jpg

loa2_zps4be8b439.jpg

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
I have seen the 1998 70mm Dolby SR and the 70mm DTS which i am sure was re colourtimmed , Also seen the 4K , and like Oliver says you cant beat a good Super Panavision 70 print.
But now you can watch it in 4k at home, preferably of course on a front projection system. I recommend screen widths from 10 feet upwards for maximum impact:http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-serverhttp://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-4k-projectorsEdit: Plus for now you need to be in the US for that - studio policies...

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
SultanOfWhat said:
Sorry to hear that Peter O'Toole has passed away. His Lawrence was one of the great film characters.

Spotted something interesting a little after the 8 minute mark in this British Pathe film of NYC: a color view of a marquee advertising LOA in 1963.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/out-takes-cuts-from-cp-464-reel-1-of-2-little/
Thanks for posting that. Our day and evening would have been all set with an early lunch at the Woolworth's counter (probably a club sandwich for me, egg salad sandwich for her), the matinee of either Irma la Douce or Mutiny on the Bounty, followed by dinner at Howard Johnson's (if it was a Tuesday, their all-you-can-eat fish fry for both of us!), and the evening performance of Lawrence of Arabia. Of course, we'd have had something hot, buttered and coated in chocolate from those snack bars. What a great day and night that would have been! Nutritionally sound, too. :)

Yeah!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
An article on Lawrence and the Arab revolt posted today at the Hoover Institution site.

http://www.hoover.org/publications/defining-ideas/article/164006
The passing of Peter O’Toole, some fifty years after the release of “Lawrence of Arabia,” hardly merited a notice in the Arabic media. Perhaps it could have been titled “Lawrence in Arabia,” or reading his sublime Seven Pillars of Wisdom, there is absolutely room for “Lawrence on Arabia.” But the more celebrated formulation, denoting a relationship between a man and place, was always a Western projection.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's fitting that his last film role is in Katherine Of Alexandria since it's a return to Lawrence territory in the middle east.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Watched the 4K restoration tonight on a 55 ft screen, maybe the largest I've seen it.
One thing I've never noticed before was the blood stain from Tafas' body is growing as Omar Sharif makes his famous entrance from the mirage.
It's a little thing in an already complicated scene: The camel had to hit its mark, Sharif had to dismount without falling, while holding a rifle, then an exchange of dialogue with O'Toole. And now I realize there was someone on set in charge of making sure the blood was flowing on cue.
I'd be really impressed if they got that shot in one take.
Man, what a great movie.

nikonf5

Agent
Real Name
Mian
seangood79 said:
Watched the 4K restoration tonight on a 55 ft screen, maybe the largest I've seen it.
One thing I've never noticed before was the blood stain from Tafas' body is growing as Omar Sharif makes his famous entrance from the mirage.
It's a little thing in an already complicated scene: The camel had to hit its mark, Sharif had to dismount without falling, while holding a rifle, then an exchange of dialogue with O'Toole. And now I realize there was someone on set in charge of making sure the blood was flowing on cue.
I'd be really impressed if they got that shot in one take.
Man, what a great movie.

I would advise u to read this whole thread from the beginning.

There is a wealth of information to be found [including information on that very scene] and tidbits you will never read in print and could only be from the mouths of people who had been there.

My advice is to take screenshots and save them all in one folder, preferably called LoA.
in70mm.com also has some great information.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Technicolor Shutters Glendale Lab as Film’s Fadeout ContinuesDECEMBER 20, 2013 -- 01:02PM PT VARIETYCompany expects its last facility to close in less than five yearsDavid S. CohenSenior Editor, FeaturesTechnicolor’s decision to close its Glendale film lab shows just how quickly the photochemical film business is approaching extinction.The lab, which employed 39 people, was devoted to processing 65mm negatives and striking 70mm prints for Imax and other large-format theaters. ”It’s clear the market has dropped, as you can imagine,” said Claude Gagnon, president of Technicolor Creative Services. “Imax has transformed a lot of their theaters to digital and we were even lucky to have another year, because the volume was very uncertain at the beginning of the year 2013.”Fotokem continues to offer 65mm/70mm services as well as 35mm and 16mm services, and Technicolor still has one film lab, in Bangkok. But photochemical developing and printing on an industrial scale is likely to vanish soon. “Is it six months? Is it three months? It’s not five years,” said Gagnon about the future of Technicolor’s Bangkok lab. Gagnon said some studios have said that sometime in 2014, there will be no more film prints.Gagnon said the company’s HR department is working to place the affected employees elsewhere within the company but, “as you can imagine it’s very difficult to move people from a very analog activity to digital.” Technicolor employs 1,750 people in the Los Angeles area, he said.Technicolor has been eager to shed its analog film legacy business for some time as it completes its transition to a digital services and post-production company. It even dropped any hint of film reels from its logo in favor of a logo suggesting digital level bars.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
It's happening all over the world. Another reminder that one has to keep up with the times.

Look at all the silent film stars that were out of a job when sound came in.

My career was affected twice by the changing times over the last 30 years. So I can empathize with the Technicolor people.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
End of a long long era. Being in the exhibition industry, this came quickly and took a long time. Film cans, splicers, leader, counters, rewind tables, and projector oil are gone.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Happened in the auto industry. Mechanics left in the dust when computer injection showed up.Anymore, you can't find a mechanic that can do carbs. And even when you find one that can do carbs...they crap their pants on ad side/down draft.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
ahollis said:
End of a long long era. Being in the exhibition industry, this came quickly and took a long time. Film cans, splicers, leader, counters, rewind tables, and projector oil are gone.
Yes, I hung up my sprockets in June. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks