What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (4 Viewers)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Great Gatsby 1080p: This one used to be 4k UHD on my Apple TV 4k but it isn't anymore for reasons that I do not even want to find out - enough said
If you originally got it from an ultraviolet code that migrated to iTunes through Movies Anywhere, that would explain why 4K access is blocked.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you originally got it from an ultraviolet code that migrated to iTunes through Movies Anywhere, that would explain why 4K access is blocked.
I bought the 3-D Blu-ray of "The Great Gatsby" back in 2013. It was an ultraviolet title. Anyhow, last year the 4K/Dolby Vision digital was on sale at iTunes for $4.99 so I purchased it. On iTunes it's in 4K/DV, but on Vudu it's still only in HD.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the explanation but I honestly cannot remember where I got it. I just know that I watched it in 4k UHD at the end of 2017 and now it is back to 1080p - this is ridiculous.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
RIP Antonio Francesco Coppola (uncle of the film director), 102.

He conducted for several US opera companies and on Broadway, co-founded Opera Tampa in Florida, and was director of both symphony and opera Departments at the Manhattan School of Music.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I hold these women in extremely high regard. My best (and most interesting) mentor in learning the optics of photography, when I was around 12, was Margaret Bourke-White.

Long lenses, depth of field / focus, and how they interrelated with aperture, were on the menu.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Trying to get feelings out of your heart and translating them into words is no easy task.
While I sit here and watch "LAWRENCE OF ARABIA" for the umpteenth time and listen to Gerard Schurmann's wonderful orchestrations, it as if viewing the film has opened a gate to all my feelings concerning the terrible loss to a dear friend.
It was LAWRENCE that led me to the opportunity to meet Mr. Schurmann one afternoon 35 odd years ago at his Hollywood Hills home.
Immediately Gerard and his wife Carolyn greeted my friend and myself warmly and spent several hours talking and drinking tea! At times the conversation went well over my head as my musical knowledge was and still is very limited. Despite that, viewing LAWRENCE I knew a terrific talent was behind the magnificent score to the film secondary to the composing of the score. Orchestration is an immensely important part of composing of which Gerard was master at, and I felt through the film which thrilled me that Saturday afternoon on April 20th 1963 that I somehow needed to acievethe impossible task of meeting the soul behind the creative force behind the score. No disrespect is intended toward Maurice Jarre. If one understood the role of orchestration it is easy to see the immense contribution Gerard made to the film.
Since that first meeting that afternoon a friendship with the Schurmann's was created and has continued to this day.
I have many happy memories of being invited to their home for dinner or tea. I often wanted to ask Gerard questions about the score to LAWRENCE knowing that the answers I seeked from my love of the score did not come clearly as I was offen unable to understand Gerard's explanations. I also had fo choose my moments carefully as Gerard wasn't always ready fo discuss the film as his experience of working on the film wasn't exactly a happy one.
I close this tribute to Gerard very much conscious of Carolyn's feelings right now as tears begin to blur my vision.
RIP Gerard.....thank you for your many years of friendship..........

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
They've finally announced Lawrence of Arabia on 4K disc, but it's gonna be in a big set with 5 other titles. I'm sure many here feel this classic deserves its own release.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Link to info: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26642

I would be very surprised if it isn't released as its own disc. That's a lost opportunity to sell more discs. Perhaps this is for the ones who "can't" wait as they also have Dr.Strangelove in 4K as well.

Last edited:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
They've finally announced Lawrence of Arabia on 4K disc, but it's gonna be in a big set with 5 other titles. I'm sure many here feel this classic deserves its own release.

Target has a pre-order for $112. While I was hoping for a release on its own, $18 each for six films is incredible. I'd gladly pay $112 just for Lawrence, Mr. Smith, and Dr. Strangelove. And I haven't seen Gandhi, A League of Their Own, or Jerry Maguire yet.

I'm just going to pretend that Lawrence of Arabia was part of a "6 for $20" deal and put the big box in my closet until I have more room for it. Besides, looking at the LDDB, the very first laserdisc of the restoration (Criterion's 4-disc CAV release) was $125 in 1989 money ($260 when adjusted for inflation), so I can't complain.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
The additional features seem to be the same as the deluxe Blu-Ray (though I haven't had the time to do a side-by-side.) It did list this as "New":
  • NEW: Unused International Prologue (4K UHD Exclusive)
Does anyone have any details on this? I cannot seem to find anything online and I don't have access to any of my books.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The additional features seem to be the same as the deluxe Blu-Ray (though I haven't had the time to do a side-by-side.) It did list this as "New":
  • NEW: Unused International Prologue (4K UHD Exclusive)
Does anyone have any details on this? I cannot seem to find anything online and I don't have access to any of my books.

There was an international prologue, that ran at the tail of the overture, before the logo, which gave historical background. It may have been used briefly, but I found no evidence. DL felt it unnecessary for the reconstruction, but it does serve as a very interesting artifact.

it’s being seen here for the first time since December of 1962.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks