What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (6 Viewers)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'm not RAH, but I have heard via the grapevine that Paramount is doing extensive 4K work/restorations on their library. War of the Worlds is another recent one.

Now, if we could only get Paramount to offer these on disc - along with Roman Holiday - like, please, how outdated a delay is this for Audrey Hepburn's Oscar-winning role?!?!? Also, Cecil B. DeMille's The Greatest Show on Earth, Ordinary People, A Place in the Sun, The Country Girl. Absolutely insulting none of these have found their way to Blu-ray, restored and remastered for future generations to admire, appreciation and study.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
So far I have only heard of grading for these movies being done with a 4k workflow so one would assume that grading and cleanup would have to be redone with an 8k workflow for 2001 and My Fair Lady.

I take it that NHK will be in a good position to do that and maybe there will be some synergy with upcoming projects where a complete 8k workflow replaces the previous 4k workflow for select large format titles, I could think of a number of worthy candidates that did not even get a proper Blu-ray releases or worse.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So far I have only heard of grading for these movies being done with a 4k workflow so one would assume that grading and cleanup would have to be redone with an 8k workflow for 2001 and My Fair Lady.

I take it that NHK will be in a good position to do that and maybe there will be some synergy with upcoming projects where a complete 8k workflow replaces the previous 4k workflow for select large format titles, I could think of a number of worthy candidates that did not even get a proper Blu-ray releases or worse.

Re-grading should not be necessary, as the grade is previously captured for the 4k. Clean-up would have to be redone, which is a Pandora’s box of hardship.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Re-grading should not be necessary, as the grade is previously captured for the 4k. Clean-up would have to be redone, which is a Pandora’s box of hardship.

I can imagine that clean-up would be a huge task but can you expand a bit on the grading please?
I am not familiar with how exactly this is done, could this be transferred more or less from the 4k workflow to the 8k workflow and to speak in layman's terms be re-applied with the right technology without the person doing this having much experience with the art of grading himself?

Of course I would still hope that the right people check the final 8k version and preferably also the work being done along the way but it is good to hear that ith todays technology nobody would have to redo the essentially perfect grading of movies like Spartacus or My Fair Lady. They both look stunning and I would expect them to look worse if somebody was to start grading them again from scratch.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can imagine that clean-up would be a huge task but can you expand a bit on the grading please?
I am not familiar with how exactly this is done, could this be transferred more or less from the 4k workflow to the 8k workflow and to speak in layman's terms be re-applied with the right technology without the person doing this having much experience with the art of grading himself?

Of course I would still hope that the right people check the final 8k version and preferably also the work being done along the way but it is good to hear that ith todays technology nobody would have to redo the essentially perfect grading of movies like Spartacus or My Fair Lady. They both look stunning and I would expect them to look worse if somebody was to start grading them again from scratch.

Every digital move during the color & modification process is captured, and can be “replayed.”

For example, beyond color for MFL, it was necessary to change the grade during shots, as frames had either been chemically damaged, or had faded over the decades, especially at splices - so that different grades were necessary for the head, body and tail of shots. These necessitated unseen dissolves as grading changed during shots.

This would have been captured, reproduced, and linked to the original 8k files.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot for the explanation, technology has come very far. It is good to know that nobody will have to reinvent the wheel to make the 8k versions look great. Just lots of good old cleanup and NHK should be good to go.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks a lot for the explanation, technology has come very far. It is good to know that nobody will have to reinvent the wheel to make the 8k versions look great. Just lots of good old cleanup and NHK should be good to go.

Remains to be seen

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Let the minutes reflect that I have cleared my calendar for September 1st and 4th, 2019.
I trust, Mr. Smith, that this means you're committing to seeing it twice?;)
Well, 10 months isn't too far off; especially when one places this in juxtaposition to our waiting for the 4K/UHD.:rolleyes:
Oh, BTW, I wouldn't miss this chance of seeing LoA theatrically, either.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
TCM is giving me an early birthday present with that screening of Lawrence next year! Been wanting a theatrical viewing of that since the 2012 one I caught (and skipped class for).

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks