What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (6 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I fear it won't be because Warner Archives tend to only release discs with brand new masters and Little Women wasn't one of the four new September additions flagged as being newly remastered.
Andrew,

Which two of four titles besides "Sunrise at Campobello" and "Life with Father" have brand new masters?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Andrew,

Which two of four titles besides "Sunrise at Campobello" and "Life with Father" have brand new masters?
They are " Tennessee Johnson" and "Reversal of Fortune".

Yes, from what I've read, those are the four that are flagged on HBOMax's website as being newly remastered. Wish we could subscribe to it here in Canada.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks, I noted both of those titles in my HBO Max post. For the life of me, I don't understand why "Tennessee Johnson" might be released on Blu-ray.:rolleyes:
I don't know if I've ever seen it, but according to the research I've done, it was a reasonably well-made bio-pic about a President (albeit, one who is not highly regarded at the moment).

And they did just release Kentucky Kernels

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know if I've ever seen it, but according to the research I've done, it was a reasonably well-made bio-pic about a President (albeit, one who is not highly regarded at the moment).

And they did just release Kentucky Kernels
As an American History buff, he hasn't been held in high regard for many decades.:)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
As an American History buff, he hasn't been held in high regard for many decades.:)
For being the most racist president until Wilson in the 20th century and ? in the 21st. I saw the film at MoMA and my wife, a US history doctoral candidate was appalled during this biopic and Wilson's.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Given the flack that WB and HBO Max received recently over Gone with the Wind, it is weird and perhaps even ironic that a remastered edition of Tennessee Johnson would be added to HBO Max and potentially released on blu-ray by WAC. It is indeed a reasonably well made movie, but don't go into it thinking that it is even remotely accurate to history. Then again, it's a fool's errand to get your history from Hollywood anyway. When I watched the film in 2018, I actually watched Young Mr. Lincoln and the Steven Spielberg Lincoln around the same time to try to maintain some cinematic balance in my life. If WAC does release it, I can't say it's a film I would be eager to buy. Abe Lincoln in Illinois would be my pick for a WB-owned presidential bio-pic for WAC to release. As for Wilson, it's a film I like in spite of its flaws, and I would like to see a remastered blu-ray of it, but given the combination of the loss of its Technicolor negative and the current regime at Disney/Fox, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I still hope The Candidate get a Warner Archive blu-ray release.

In regard to Tennessee Johnson, that's a film that is little-known to me. It must have played on tv but I don't recall it in rotation on the Million Dollar Movie or The ABC 4:30 Movie during the 1970's and early 1980's. Of course now I also really want to see it as well, lol.

My guess is if the film does get a Warner Archive blu-ray release, it could include an introduction by Jacqueline Stewart or another expert discussing the inaccuracies.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
All you guys piling on to disparage Tennessee Johnson, only makes me want to see it more! :lol: It can't possibly be that bad.

It's not really a matter that it's a bad film on a technical level but more a matter that the film is rooted in the historiography of the 1940s concerning the Civil War and Reconstruction.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
A lot of interesting info on this month’s podcast. Some of the primary points brought up:

1. The original three-strip negatives for Show Boat survive complete, but nothing to announce at present.
  2. Apparently the holdup on Showgirl is that the intertitles are all in Italian and need to be translated.
  3. Pre-Code Horrors: Freaks only has fourth-generation elements at Warner, but there is a plan to release it in the future. Both versions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde need a lot of work and they’re searching for better elements. George Feltenstein would also love to do Mask of Fu Manchu and Mark of the Vampire, but both are costly to restore and nothing to announce at present.
  4. They’re working on more Film Noir/Gangster films and some are being worked on now.
  5. Some of the Forbidden Hollywood titles will make it to Blu-ray in the future.
  6. Some Jean Harlow films are in the works, but nothing concrete to announce.
Im
Hoping for the FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD titles A FREE SOUL and THE DIVORCEE, as well as any William Wellman titles.

I’d buy FREAKS on Blu Ray.

for Noir, I’d love to see CROSSFIRE.

LITTLE WOMEN and SERGEANT YORK are must for
My collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All you guys piling on to disparage Tennessee Johnson, only makes me want to see it more! :lol: It can't possibly be that bad.
It's not a bad movie, but the movie is inaccurate regarding a POTUS that is ranked very low by POTUS historians.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
There is no doubt in my mind that "Life with Father" and "Sunrise at Campobello" are coming out on Blu-ray before 2021. WA didn't do that work on those two classic movies to just stream them.

Don't be so sure. Two years ago, WAC unfurled sparkling new remasters of 1934's The Merry Widow and Wife Vs. Secretary, each debuting at the TCM Summer Screening event and neither have yet to find their way to Blu.

RE: must haves with Greer - Mrs. Parkington, Random Harvest, and, The Valley of Decision - positively yummy!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't be so sure. Two years ago, WAC unfurled sparkling new remasters of 1934's The Merry Widow and Wife Vs. Secretary, each debuting at the TCM Summer Screening event and neither have yet to find their way to Blu.

RE: must haves with Greer - Mrs. Parkington, Random Harvest, and, The Valley of Decision - positively yummy!
We'll find out one way or another on September 15th.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The titles discussed here in the last week or so do nothing for me (& the fault is all mine & my taste in films), so I hope there's a surprise or two in the next batch.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Amazon pages seem to have popped up for the following titles:

Sergeant York

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Reversal of Fortune

Space Ghost and Dino Boy

So if these are any indication, we’ll be getting these titles next month,
though strangely no sign of the other remastered titles on HBO Max.

EDIT: Links added. Also, the latest podcast revealed that The Opposite Sex is still months away and that it’s announcement from last month was the result of a glitch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks