What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (3 Viewers)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Another September title may have been leaked - The Opposite Sex (1956) apparently was on FB for a short time (now removed). This was a musical remake of The Women

I can vouch for this. It was on Facebook for about 10 minutes yesterday evening before being removed. It seemed an odd time for a WAC announcement... I was going to have to pull an all nighter. ;)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Interesting new WAC podcast. They answer the question about what the holdup is with Raintree County. Apparently it is in the same boat as The Alamo. The roadshow trims were discarded by the studio and while they have the original elements of the shorter theatrical cut and could restore that, the roadshow only exists in a 4X3 letterbox SD master that was derived from prints that have since turned purple and are no longer saveable. So the only way we will ever see Raintree County is in a million dollar restoration of the theatrical cut or a really crappy upscale of the Roadshow. (Oh and there is also a 1080i one-light of the theatrical cut that plays on TV which isn’t good enough for Blu-ray)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like we are still Screwed on The Alamo and Raintree County. I could live with the Theatrical cut of Raintree County but The Alamo is a must for the extended cut. A much better and more coherent film.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The "That's Entertainment Trilogy" is now listed on the Warner Archive preorder section with a price of only $24.99. So all the prices listed at $17.99 to $19.99 are most likely not price errors. 9/22 release date.
1597859169551.png

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
The "That's Entertainment Trilogy" is now listed on the Warner Archive preorder section with a price of only $24.99. So all the prices listed at $17.99 to $19.99 are most likely not price errors.
View attachment 77214
I noticed this, also. I bought the first Blu-ray set that was released in 2007 and the PQ on I and II especially were awful. The DVDs look better. If any major restoration work has been completed I'm all in for this release, otherwise not.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
View attachment 77214
I noticed this, also. I bought the first Blu-ray set that was released in 2007 and the PQ on I and II especially were awful. The DVDs look better. If any major restoration work has been completed I'm all in for this release, otherwise not.
I would be surprised if these were not the same as the 2007 release. I am unaware of any blu
rays that received a standard release and then were moved to the archive getting an update. If anyone knows differently, please comment. On the other hand I thought the digital version of the original movie looked much better than the blu ray. The Black and White 1930's clips were extremely fuzzy on the blu ray.
If these discs are repressed rather than just leftovers from the standard release maybe they would use the digital source . I don't know anything about That's Entertainment II.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
At this moment, I'm worried about all of the studios.

They'll all swim around in the pool until they find a stroke that keeps them afloat. I expect that will be television series more than theatrical releases, as the former is not as badly affected by the virus.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
View attachment 77214

True. I bought this a few months ago in B&N, and the Black and White clips in Part 1 were incredibly grainy. I thought the color clips looked a lot better

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The "That's Entertainment Trilogy" is now listed on the Warner Archive preorder section with a price of only $24.99.

And yes, I'll be the stickler who points out that the That's Entertainment "trilogy" was FOUR films, if we're counting 1985's "That's Dancing!"
As was marketed when Warner released the TCM Classics-branded DVD boxset.

(Which was otherwise a canonical TE sequel, made for an MGM anniversary and starring Gene Kelly and ex-MGM stars, just not limited to MGM clips.)

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
And yes, I'll be the stickler who points out that the That's Entertainment "trilogy" was FOUR films, if we're counting 1985's "That's Dancing!"
As was marketed when Warner released the TCM Classics-branded DVD boxset.

(Which was otherwise a canonical TE sequel, made for an MGM anniversary and starring Gene Kelly and ex-MGM stars, just not limited to MGM clips.)

I've found it frustrating as well that That's Dancing! isn't included with these releases. Even though it includes clips from other studios, the focus is still clearly on MGM.

And speaking of frustrating, I was disappointed that no scenes of Betty Grable were included in TD! The only scene in which she appears is as part of the audience watching the Nicholas Brothers doing their incredible routine from Down Argentine Way.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've found it frustrating as well that That's Dancing! isn't included with these releases. Even though it includes clips from other studios, the focus is still clearly on MGM.

And speaking of frustrating, I was disappointed that no scenes of Betty Grable were included in TD! The only scene in which she appears is as part of the audience watching the Nicholas Brothers doing their incredible routine from Down Argentine Way.

The two omissions - clips that I always thought should have been in That's Dancing! were "Steam Heat" from The Pajama Game and "Jumpin' Jive" from Stormy Weather (one of the greatest dances ever recorded on film)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the reason "That's Dancing" has never been released on blu ray is because of a lack of HD masters of some of the clips for films Warner Bros doesn't own. Warner Bros. would have to get HD clips from Disney for example I know the film is available in HD on Itunes but are all the clips from HD masters or are some SD. If anyone has seen the iTunes version of "That's Dancing", how does it look? As there are many complaints about how the "That's Entertainment" films look on the blu ray perhaps it is a moot point that "That's Dancing" is not included. It is the only sequel produced by Jack Haley, Jr., who produced the original "That's Entertainment" . The other thing is I don't think Warner Bros goes back to replace clips in "That's Entertainment" every time they restore a film . For example I doubt they replaced the clips from "Babes on Broadway" and "Girl Crazy" used in the "That's Entertainment" films because those films were recently released on blu ray. I remember when the DVD set of "That's Entertainment" was released Warner Bros. stated that they had replaced clips from such films as "Singin' In The Rain" and "Meet Me In St Louis" with the then new Ultra Resolution version of the clips in "That Entertainment" films but I have heard of no further upgrades.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I wonder if the reason "That's Dancing" has never been released on blu ray is because of a lack of HD masters of some of the clips for films Warner Bros doesn't own. Warner Bros. would have to get HD clips from Disney for example I know the film is available in HD on Itunes but are all the clips from HD masters or are some SD...
It was made in 1985 for a theatrical release, so all of the clips would have been sourced from 35mm, not video.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
They'll all swim around in the pool until they find a stroke that keeps them afloat. I expect that will be television series more than theatrical releases, as the former is not as badly affected by the virus.

Dick, could you explain this a bit more? Are you the television releases are less affected by the virus as opposed to the theatrical ones?
I do so want more HB animated releases.

--jthree

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks