What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (23 Viewers)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
So does mine. She also loves Carol Burnett's parody of it. (I'll confess a weakness for both items as well.)
It's funny but the only James Agee quote I can remember is about "Random Harvest". He wrote he would recommend it to "anyone who would swallow a bowl of Yardley's shaving soap with pleasure. " Because of that quote, I've never seen it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, my wife loves Random Harvest.
---------------

I love it too and would buy it in a heartbeat. But I still maintain there's a minimal market for it. Pride And Prejudice has the Jane Austen factor going for it which makes it a marketable title.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's funny but the only James Agee quote I can remember is about "Random Harvest". He wrote he would recommend it to "anyone who would swallow a bowl of Yardley's shaving soap with pleasure. " Because of that quote, I've never seen it.

Agee is still kinder to it than Pauline Kael: "The only reason to see this hunk of twaddle is the better to savor the memory of the Carol Burnett parody. And it's shorter."

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Some great ye olde worlde b/w films listed, off the top of my head I could only add:

The Mask Of Fu Manchu
Angels With Dirty Faces
The Roaring Twenties
The Devil & Daniel Webster - although I think I read somewhere that Criterion own this now.
Gold Diggers Of 1933 (for me, the best BB)
The Hill - 1965 doesn't seem so old to me, but I suppose it is.

My advice...hang on to your DVDs!

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would love Blu rays for The Mask of Fu Manchu, Mad Love, Mark of the Vampire and Dr. X which is rumored to be getting restored.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I like Song Of Norway, Xanadu and the 1973 musical version of Lost Horizon and there's nothing wrong with me. :)

I just lost a little bit of respect for you, this is sad.
OK, just kidding there :D

Nothing wrong with liking movies that not everybody else likes but it is always good advice to not elevate movies to classic status just because of a personal preference.

I fear that currently not too many movies that are known to more than a small group of classic film fans are still out there that one could call a real classic tin so far that they also appeal to a wider public and sadly this probably includes all silent movies that Warner still hasn't released.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s my opinion that TCM and its full name has changed the definition of “classic” when it comes to movies from previous film eras. Frankly, I don’t have a problem with it, but, obviously some of you do take issue with it. My response to that is “whatever” as I don’t really care how people classify such movies.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Some great ye olde worlde b/w films listed, off the top of my head I could only add:

The Mask Of Fu Manchu
Angels With Dirty Faces
The Roaring Twenties
The Devil & Daniel Webster - although I think I read somewhere that Criterion own this now.
Gold Diggers Of 1933 (for me, the best BB)
The Hill - 1965 doesn't seem so old to me, but I suppose it is.

My advice...hang on to your DVDs!
Those 2 James Cagney titles you listed should have been released already ! Also High Sierra ! Is Long overdue. This is why I get Disappointed when WBArchive leave Out titles like this Every month. ? : (

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Yes, Criterion has it and released it on a now-obsolete DVD. Needs work, certainly. But it's major stuff, and I really hope they upgrade it. Along with SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE, FIRES ON THE PLAIN, early David Lean, etc.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It’s my opinion that TCM and its full name has changed the definition of “classic” when it comes to movies from previous film eras. Frankly, I don’t have a problem with it, but, obviously some of you do take issue with it. My response to that is “whatever” as I don’t really care how people classify such movies.

I have a bit of an issue when sometimes it sounds as if Warner has yet to release dozens of movies of the status of GWTW, Oz or Ben-Hur (1959).
Other than that I love many old movies and often find more obscure titles or commercial failures at least as interesting as the usual suspects.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a bit of an issue when sometimes it sounds as if Warner has yet to release dozens of movies of the status of GWTW, Oz or Ben-Hur (1959).
Other than that I love many old movies and often find more obscure titles or commercial failures at least as interesting as the usual suspects.
IMO, there are few movies that are the status of those three movies as those are iconic films that resonate across different cultures and generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks