What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (7 Viewers)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
In 2019 I only added 1 movie from my Wish List from WBArchive. That was in November 2019 with Day's of Wine and Roses. The other 4 titles were all animated titles with Popeye Vol.2 & 3 The Jetsons complete original series and Jonny Quest complete original series. This year nothing for me so far. Maybe May will have something I want. The Great classics that most people like me have been waiting and waiting for are still sitting on the shelf collecting dust. : ( Unbelievable !!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In 2019 I only added 1 movie from my Wish List from WBArchive. That was in November 2019 with Day's of Wine and Roses. The other 4 titles were all animated titles with Popeye Vol.2 & 3 The Jetsons complete original series and Jonny Quest complete original series. The Great classics that most people like me have been waiting and waiting for are still sitting on the shelf collecting dust. : ( Unbelievable !!
Oh, stop it! Yesterday, they announced some great classics just not the ones you want.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Definitely a conspiracy. What have they got against Ginger and Fred?

Or Cary Grant, Joan Crawford, Clark Gable, James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Bette Davis, or movies from the 30s or the 40s? A lot of us want the classics from that era, and instead we get these :

Blood on the Moon
Rachel and the Stranger
Tin Cup
Sweet Bird of Youth
Action of the Tiger
Reflections in a Golden Eye

Im not familiar with any of the films WAC announced yesterday but Im going to give a spin to the Robert Mitchum movies. Who the hell ever requested Tin Cup ???? :D Usually movies from the 40s and 50s are titles of interest, and wind up replacing DVDs with those, but not this month.

My wish-list, off the top of my head, which will probably stay that way long after Im gone includes titles from the 30s , 40s and 50s .. and no this isn't everything.

Tarzan - all of Weissmuller ones
After the Thin Man ..well the whole series basically
Stranger on the Third Floor
His Kind of Woman
My Forbidden Past
Red Headed Woman
Baby Face
In Name Only
The Damned Dont Cry
In this Our Life
The Roaring Twenties
Each Dawn I Die

And yes I am still hoping for Attack of the 50 Foot Woman and The Last DInosaur :D

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
In 2019 I only added 1 movie from my Wish List from WBArchive. That was in November 2019 with Day's of Wine and Roses. The other 4 titles were all animated titles with Popeye Vol.2 & 3 The Jetsons complete original series and Jonny Quest complete original series. This year nothing for me so far. Maybe May will have something I want. The Great classics that most people like me have been waiting and waiting for are still sitting on the shelf collecting dust. : ( Unbelievable !!

Oh, please! In 2019, the Warner Archives released/announced the following blu rays: Summer Stock (1950) with Judy Garland and Gene Kelly, Gaslight (1944) with Ingrid Bergman, Footlight Parade (1933) with James Cagney, The Thin Man (1934) with William Powell and Myrna Loy, Jezebel (1938) with Bette Davis and Henry Fonda, John Ford's Wagon Master (1950), The Set Up (1949) with Robert Ryan, The Letter (1940) with Bette Davis, The Bad And The Beautiful (1952) with Lana Turner and Kirk Douglas to name but a handful.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Oh, stop it! Yesterday, they announced some great classics just not the ones you want.

While they may not be classics in the sense of Gone With the Wind or The Wizard of Oz I would definitely call them above average classic titles that to my pleasant surprise are not mostly B horror fare or some other popular niche.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

Ok I'll try this a different way.

Could you post your wishlist here and prove that your definition of Classics is demonstrably greater than even the partial list from Thomas T. Honestly I'm not sure 'Days of Wine and Roses' is even in my Top 10 of WAC 2019 movie release (probably would be, but definitely not Top 5)

Your "evil WAC withholding all their really good films and never releasing anything good" routine seems to have worn thin on multiple forums

Last edited:

Mark VH

Second Unit

Could you post your wishlist here and prove that your definition of Classics is demonstrably greater than even the partial list from Thomas T. Honestly 'Days of Wine and Roses' probably isn't even in the Top 10 of WAC 2019 releases

The "evil WAC withholding all their really good films and never releasing anything good" routine seems to have worn thin on multiple forums

The overall sense of entitlement from some collectors is really something special.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The overall sense of entitlement from some collectors is really something special.

Entitlement is an issue but so are the many posts that follow such a post like the one from Rick Bond.

Warners' choices may not be mine but they release their titles in good or very good quality which is a lot more than I can say about recent releases from Kino for movies that I was really looking forward to.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Entitlement is an issue but so are the many posts that follow such a post like the one from Rick Bond.

Warners' choices may not be mine but they release their titles in good or very good quality which is a lot more than I can say about recent releases from Kino for movies that I was really looking forward to.
Perhaps you're right about some of Kino's releases, but I'm happy they released them on Blu-ray anyway because otherwise, we wouldn't have them on Blu-ray at all.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Figured I'd dig up the generic thread with today's announcements.

A bit of a head's up since Sales are fairly popular. WBShop Warner Archives 4/$44 sales most commonly happen around 3rd weeks of mid March and the last several have started on March 23 - the official Anniversary/Birthday/founding of Warner Archives.
Since 3/23 is a Monday I'm not sure if they might consider starting the sale then or possible capture the weekend and consider starting it a few days early, so I'd keep an eye out starting friday 3/20. WBshop seems extremely secretive about their sales and often don't announce them until the day or and often the email don't get sent until after the sale starts.

Normally the spring sales have been 2-3 days recently. If they follow the script from the last couple years Single disc releases through the end of Dec will likely be eligible.

I addition the last couple sales in July and Nov also had a parallel sale with Multidisc sets (TV seasons, collections, 2 disc items like Seven Brides and Superman, etc) with 30-40% off MSRP. Hopefully they'll have something similar with the presumed upcoming sale as well since those discs have even fewer deep sales than the regular items.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
So, if you're correct about everything through the end of December 2019 being available during the next sale, it
looks like I may be able to cross the following Blu-Rays off of my list:
THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL / THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS / FOOTLIGHT PARADE / GREAT DAY
IN THE MORNING / JEZEBEL / THE LETTER / MY FAVORITE YEAR / THE THIN MAN and A TOUCH OF CLASS.
I may now have to start a special Go Fund Me account just to afford them all. Still, I'm now drooling at the prospect.
(For some bizarre reason, the quote I've cited is above. Can't figure out why, but what the hey. Still eagerly awaiting the new sale!)

Mark VH

Second Unit
Perhaps you're right about some of Kino's releases, but I'm happy they released them on Blu-ray anyway because otherwise, we wouldn't have them on Blu-ray at all.

There’s this weird misconception that Kino has the same level of control over the quality of their transfers as Warners do. They don’t. They’re a label, not a studio. They can only use what they’re given, which is why their extra effort to remaster films that come to them with problems - like The Big Country - is so above and beyond. They do great with what they’re given, which often isn’t much. And you’re right that without them we likely wouldn’t get many of those films at all (and I know you know this, just responding to the complaints we often hear).

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK

Could you post your wishlist here and prove that your definition of Classics is demonstrably greater than even the partial list from Thomas T. Honestly I'm not sure 'Days of Wine and Roses' is even in my Top 10 of WAC 2019 movie release (probably would be, but definitely not Top 5)

Your "evil WAC withholding all their really good films and never releasing anything good" routine seems to have worn thin on multiple forums
Worn thin ??? Mind your own business. You like what you like and I like what I like. The End

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Worn thin ??? Mind your own business. You like what you like and I like what I like. The End
If you repeatedly post in this forum that you're dissatisfied with Warner Archive's output, you've made it other people's business and they're entitled to comment. If you believe your likes and dislikes are your business and no-one else's, keep your opinions to yourself!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'll always be dissatisfied with Warner Archive until I get everything I want. Which will of course be never.
At the same time I'm amazingly thrilled with what I've already been given and I'm sure there will continue to be a drip-feed of delectable items for quite some time to come. I find it's quite easy for me to be satisfied and dissatisfied simultaneously.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I gave Blood on the Moon a watch today and Ill be getting that one. Really good Western. There's other Robert Mitchum films Im hoping for that Ive had on DVD for years, and hopefully one day they will get Blu ray releases.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I completely agree, this was not to put Kino down but to show what an outstanding job Warner is doing when it comes to the technical aspects of their releases. This is something we cannot expect from smaller labels with their restricted distribution rights and I am happy that Warner is the only studio that is regularly outputting this kind of quality AND quantity when it comes to classic titles.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
There’s this weird misconception that Kino has the same level of control over the quality of their transfers as Warners do. They don’t. They’re a label, not a studio. They can only use what they’re given, which is why their extra effort to remaster films that come to them with problems - like The Big Country - is so above and beyond. They do great with what they’re given, which often isn’t much. And you’re right that without them we likely wouldn’t get many of those films at all (and I know you know this, just responding to the complaints we often hear).

Indeed I always wonder why people mix that up and have rather funny hopes that for example Criterion should get some movie that is ultra expensive to restore and often not even that popular because "they would do a great job restoring it" or something to that effect. No they won't - they will not risk their company for a movie that they will not sell that often and that they do not even own.

The other fallacy is to take one of the more expensive restorations done by another company, most of the time the studio, and praise the label for it. To give examples I am happy that Criterion released One Eyed Jacks and Twilight Time Dr. Dolittle but the heavy lifting was done by the film foundation and Fox, credit where it's due.

As for Kino I will say that they seem to put a lot of effort into some of their releases but sometimes I think that they could use a bit more input about the way they are doing things but that is for other threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    papill6n
    Recent bookmarks