What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (18 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No sales here. They probably would have to do very little work on GOODBYE MR CHIPS----PENNIES FROME HEAVEN---THE BUTCHER BOY----UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE----WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY---ALICE DOES'NT LIVE HERE ANYMORE ---THE SHELTERING SKY---WRESTLING ERNST HEMININGWAY.
I bought the digital HD version of Up the Down Staircase (I just had to; it's one of my all-time favorites), and while it looks OK, the dirt from the DVD transfer is still there, so it's clear Warners hasn't touched it otherwise.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well, it looks like today is the day they are doing announcements for at least January, as they have started off by announcing the 1954 Jane Russell film Underwater.
Well, I will definitely, but definitely, buy Underwater.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Well, it's certainly an interesting group of releases. I'm curious at least about Underwater and Penelope. Penelope is likely to be 4 for $44 for me, and the only reason Underwater isn't the same is because, like others have mentioned, I would like to see them release The French Line (which has three strikes against it happening), and I would buy Underwater full price to help support releasing more Jane Russell to get it.
While I agree it's a slow month, I admit, I'm more surprised by how everyone is reacting to it. I thought January has traditionally been a slower month, not getting any of the big releases. I mean, to watch a lot of people on here, most were unhappy with WAC releases for 2019 until about the time we hit summer, and 2018 was also slow in starting out. I just say we need to be patient, as the good stuff should be hitting within a few months.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I bought the digital HD version of Up the Down Staircase (I just had to; it's one of my all-time favorites), and while it looks OK, the dirt from the DVD transfer is still there, so it's clear Warners hasn't touched it otherwise.

I don't think anybody's ever touched that one. It already looked dirty on television in the early 80s.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Still wish they'd release that 4K scan of Land of the Pharaohs I've been hearing about in a blu-ray. Seems they've got their needle stuck on a few genres and don't venture out too far from those. Still, I'm sold on Underwater which sounds like a hoot.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Still wish they'd release that 4K scan of Land of the Pharaohs I've been hearing about in a blu-ray.

Well Ed you got to tell us more about this one!

Never heard that Warner already had done the 4k scan but then the scan itself is not where most of the money would be spent in bringing this to Blu-ray so they might decide to sit on it for a while for that reason alone.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Thanks to WAC over the years my wishlist for them has been slowly shrinking. Their release slate is always interesting and the quality is top notch. I look forward to seeing what they bring out in 2020. Here's what I have left on my wishlist:

Fury (1936)
Westward the Women (1951)
Splendor in the Grass (1961)
American Splendor (2003)
Snow Angels (2007)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Still wish they'd release that 4K scan of Land of the Pharaohs I've been hearing about in a blu-ray. Seems they've got their needle stuck on a few genres and don't venture out too far from those. Still, I'm sold on Underwater which sounds like a hoot.
Land of the Pharaohs and Helen of Troy ! I have been waiting for Forever ! ?? : (

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Thanks to WAC over the years my wishlist for them has been slowly shrinking. Their release slate is always interesting and the quality is top notch. I look forward to seeing what they bring out in 2020. Here's what I have left on my wishlist:

Fury (1936)
Westward the Women (1951)
Splendor in the Grass (1961)
American Splendor (2003)
Snow Angels (2007)

WESTWARD was released on DVD a few years ago, but you’re probably talking about Blu, right?

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
More Anthony Mann is always good. And it is nice they have included the Edith Head featurette along with Penelope. I've seen that on TCM and found it interesting.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell

for those that have waited patiently, for a really long time, remember this is just a tease, but could this be the first volume, hopefully more announcements will follow

:D

Well, I see somebody got here before me to post that. Being that it is an "unboxing" video instead of specs for the release, it is probably just a tease for their announcements, with everything they're releasing in February probably getting announced on Monday (or Tuesday at the latest).

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Well Ed you got to tell us more about this one!

I'm trying to recover the thread, no luck yet. That poster wrote that he saw the HD Pharoahs on a U.K. site, said it looked fabulous. I've tried to find it in HD on Amazon and iTunes, no luck yet. Speaking of Kazan, I'd kill for a blu-ray of America America! Wish WB would go for more real classics by beloved directors too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks