What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (5 Viewers)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd love several of those.

Pride of the Yankees is another that's high on my wishlist. This would fall under the Warner umbrella these days, right?

And Ann Sheridan needs more attention from the Warner Archive as well. She's terribly underrepresented on Blu-Ray. So I'd love to see George Washington Slept Here make it out.

She's in at least one of those movies in the original post, but Kings Row is such a depressing film.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm not sure that we are getting any announcements this month, the titles that were announced are spread over Jan/Feb (I can't find the list or release dates right now). I do know that the title from that list I want, Harper, is released at the end of February.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There weren't any last month, either. Pretty unusual, that.

Er...trying to think. I don't think they release anything in December, so no announcements in November, I thought there was an announcement last month, a reasonable batch, but it looks like it was two months worth (so not so many titles really), so it's, Harper, The Drowning Pool & Leatherface for February & I'm thinking a mid-February announcement for the March releases. No complaints from me, no other big studio is doing regular releases like this.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
This is far and a away number 1 on my blu ray wish list. If this was released and nothing else I wanted in 2018 it would still be a great year in my book. Since this is with MGM there is a chance Kino or Olive may release an HD scan of the Roadshow in its unrestored condition. That's probably the best we can hope for unfortunately. But if the non-roadshow version is released that would just be a slap in the face since its a far inferior version with so many holes in the story and so many details missing.
The Alamo in its original form is just as much of a want for me as seeing Jed and his kin finished up on DVD!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
But...but...The Alamo has no place in this thread, it's a United Artist release & nothing to do with Warner. I'm thinking someone important at MGM is related to Antonio López de Santa Anna, & we'll never see a decent HD presentation.

However, there's a few Westerns that Warner do own:

They Died With Their Boot On
3 Godfathers
The Big Sky
The Last Hunt
There Was A Crooked Man
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
The Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
No complaints from me, no other big studio is doing regular releases like this.

No complaints here, either...just puzzlement. I am aware that the Archives do not announce releases in December. The lack of any January announcements is unusual for them. That's all.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I know I've mentioned these before, but I am a believer in the "squeaky wheel" philosophy.
I'd love to see BD's of The Prince and the Showgirl, The Showboat trilogy, and more MGM classics (The Great Ziegfeld,
David Copperfield, etc, etc). Then, of course, there's The Devils....

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
No complaints here, either...just puzzlement. I am aware that the Archives do not announce releases in December. The lack of any January announcements is unusual for them. That's all.
They did have January blu ray announcements in December.
They released:
The Hanging Tree
Flight of the Dragons
Teen Titans: Complete series

They also announced 3 other titles in December that ended up being February titles:
Harper
The Drowning Pool
Leatherface: TCM III

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
They did have January blu ray announcements in December.
They released:
The Hanging Tree
Flight of the Dragons
Teen Titans: Complete series

They also announced 3 other titles in December that ended up being February titles:
Harper
The Drowning Pool
Leatherface: TCM III

Thanks.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A slow start this year, come late March I'll only have Harper (in the UK), but then other years have started strong & tailed off (for me anyway), so maybe it'll be the reverse this year.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I do hope we get a few musicals from them this year, and since I agree with the "squeaky wheel" idea, I hope they finally start releasing some more films from the 30s on blu, and I hope they can also start releasing some MGM musicals made BEFORE 1954 on blu (also wouldn't mind seeing some more non-MGM musicals made before 1954 as well). If not, I hope they would consider licensing out some of the titles from that era to Classicflix, since they are doing as good a job as anybody, and seem to be specializing in that era.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
They already have some exquisite HD masters for some MGM musical titles like Till the Clouds Roll By and Words & Music if the masters run on TCM are any indication.
I hope so. I really enjoy the musicals from the 30s to the 50s, and I am getting a little tired of WAC only representing the genre with releases covering only a small fraction of that time frame.

bestactor

Agent
Real Name
TJK
Last year I posted a list of 25 titles I suspected might show up in 2017 in the Archives releases. Only one was actually released, which surprised me, although I was happy with many of their titles.

This year, I am listing my favorite non-Blu-ray releases from Warner Bros, MGM and Allied Artists that might actually be under consideration or which I seriously want to see released, with the hope that at least 10% of them will be reach us. We'll see...I could again be way-y off.

If you hate lists, ignore this post, go about your business and enjoy your day.

WARNER BROS. TITLES
Angels With Dirty Faces
Awakening, The (1980)
Baby Doll
Black Scorpion, The
Bronco Billy
Captain Blood
Carny
Countdown (Robert Altman, 1968)
Crimson Pirate, The
Damn Yankees
Dead End
Devils, The
Femme Fatale
Fox, The
Going In Style (1979)
Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, The
I Love You Alice B. Toklas
Julius Caeser
King's Row
Land Of the Pharaohs
Last Of Sheila, The
Late Show, The
Letter, The
Life Of Emile Zola, The
Local Hero
Looker
Midsummer Night's Dream
Mister Roberts
Night Shift
Objective Burma
Oh God
O Lucky Man
Pajama Game, The
Petulia
Prince Of the City
Quick Change
Rachel Rachel
Sea Hawk, The
Straight Time
Sundowners, The
They Drive By Night
White Hunter, Black Heart

MGM
Adam's Rib
Alamo, The (United Artists, but now property of MGM)
Cameraman, The
Canterville Ghost, The
Captain Sinbad
Children of the Damned
Dark Of the Sun
Day At the Races, A
Edge Of the City
Freaks
Great Ziegfeld, The
Green Mansions
Harvey Girls, The
Ivanhoe
King Solomon's Mines (1952)
Les Girls
Libeled Lady
Lili
Mark Of the Vampire
Moulin Rouge (1952)
My Favorite Year
Naked Spur, The
National Velvet
Never So Few
Night Of the Iguana
Patch Of Blue, A
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Queen Christina
Red Badge Of Courage, The
Scaramouche
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
7 Faces Of Dr. Leo, The
Shoot the Moon
Show Boat (multiple versions)
Thin Man, The
Three Musketeers, The (1948)
tom thumb
Village Of the Damned
Whose Life Is It Anyway?
Wild Rovers, The
Young Cassidy

ALLIED ARTISTS
Big Circus, The
Billy Budd
Friendly Persuasion
Giant Behemoth, The
Macabre
Not Of This Earth (may not belong to WB)
Queen Of Outer Space

bestactor

Agent
Real Name
TJK
Titles I'd love to see--Dark at the Top of the Stairs, All the Way Home, restored Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm, Call Me Madam (blu-ray), Another Part of the Forest, Wives and Lovers, To Each His Own (in pristine blu-ray), new Agatha Christie remastered blu-rays-- Orient Express, Death on the Nile, Mirror Crack'd. Whatever happened to the new Howard's End?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks