What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (10 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A new array of disappointments and second rate titles I'd wager as well.

One man's disappointments and second rate titles are another man's treasures. :) I, for one, would much rather see a "B" sci-fi film rather than one of those awful Busby Berkeley musicals but hey, that's just me. No matter what Warners announces there are bound to be both smiles and frowns.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Probably 4 more third rate movies that few people like. I hope they don't sell ! When are they releasing those Great Classics that they have sitting on the shelf ??? : ( ?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Probably 4 more third rate movies that few people like. I hope they don't sell ! When are they releasing those Great Classics that they have sitting on the shelf ??? : ( ?

Thanks for that, Rick. I now intend to buy every third rate movie the Archives put out :) including that double dose of 50s trash by that hack Fritz Long or whatever his name is as well as that giant scorpion movie to support the Archives.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks for that, Rick. I now intend to buy every third rate movie the Archives put out :) including that double dose of 50s trash by that hack Fritz Long or whatever his name is as well as that giant scorpion movie to support the Archives.

Ah, so you're the one buying this stuff! I'm not supporting the Archives, I'm just buying films that I'd like to own, & If Warner releases any of those, I'll buy 'em. Thinking about the amount of films that have been made, I dunno, for arguments sake, let's say 3000 a decade (a lot more really), so from the 30s to the 70s that's a lot of movies...& how many of those films do I really want? Well I'd struggle to list over 350. Here's hoping for at least one film I'd like a month, I'd be more than happy with that. It's getting on for April & so far I've only bought one 2018 catalogue release, Harper, although there are a few others on the horizon that I know I'll be buying.

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Not sure exactly where to put this, but for those people who watch for the WAC 4 for 44 sale at WBSHOP I would keep an eye out for tomorrow or Friday mid-day. The last couple years they've started their Spring Sale the 4th Thursday (near 1st day of Spring).

Nothing has been announced yet, but often late the night before or early the day of the sale isn't unusual for the 1st announcement

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
The Warner Archive confirmed on Twitter that Les Girls is the only film they're releasing on Blu-ray in April.

Jeez....so disappointing.
search

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
They're going backwards of late. Disappointing, of course.
The big question here is, why? It could be for any number of reasons. It could be due to poor sales. It could be because they are doing work for the titles they are licensing out, similar to what Sony has been doing for their licensed titles, which takes away resources from their own releases. It could also be they are using more resources to try and get out the "bigger" classics everybody on here keeps clamoring for, which have been said to be in somewhat worse shape because they ARE bigger classics and therefore need more work than some of the "low-hanging fruit" they have been giving us. It could be they might be trying to give us some classic tv shows on blu (and I would assume tv shows might require more resources than a movie). They could also just be trying to give us more movies/ tv shows on dvd. Or it could be something else entirely. Who knows.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The big question here is, why? It could be for any number of reasons.

Implicit in my statement (I think) is that it was disappointing to me. Of course there could be myriad reasons for this output, and the ones you cite are valid. Because there is such a vast number of movies in WB's vault, it will always seem disappointing when the ones we really want personally remain no-show's on Blu-ray. Can't please everybody each month. But they're certainly infinitely better at getting out their classics than Disney or Paramount, and now with Shout! getting one of the Lewton films, and Criterion continuing to put one out on some months, there is hope anew that these relationships are fruitful for all companies involved, expanding WB's abilities for releasing its back titles more rapidly. I was not meaning to criticize the Archives (I own about 90% of their Blu's and they're terrific), but they had been pretty steadily putting out 4-5 titles per month last year, and now...many fewer so far. Although he's certainly not obliged to offer it, a quick comment from Mr. Feltenstein about their plans for current and future releases might be a bit of great P.R. Just sayin'. I will keep listening to the Archives podcasts for any clues about this. :)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Warner Archives seems to be doing an abrupt about face in releasing only one Archive Blu Ray in April.
Very sad and very uncool in not notifying the consumer that they are backing off.
Also with the departure of Mr Lime at Kino, there's not much going on at Kino either. ...communication wise.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Warner Archive confirmed on Twitter that Les Girls is the only film they're releasing on Blu-ray in April.

Already I'm thinking, it was good while it lasted (but never good enough, Errol...). Maybe time to license out some classic titles to companies like Arrow, or a price hike & strickly limited numbers...or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks