What's new

While watching The Ring, did your dog act up? (1 Viewer)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I watched this the other night on DVD, and noticed some high-pitched noises during some of the more tense scenes. Also, during several of these moments my dog would start barking and run around the house just out of the blue. She almost never does this, and I'm thinking she heard some ultrasonic sound from the movie.

Wonder if the sounds were put in on purpose for this very reason. It would be a great idea, because the dog barking at the right moment was more scary than the movie itself.

Kami

Screenwriter
Can DVDs compressed sound carry ultrasonic frequencies? This may be a dumb question but I thought it would be cut off simply to save space. Or I guess the more accurate question is, can an average speaker produce those sounds that humans can't detect.

Oh, and my dog did not go nuts during this movie as far as I know. He's used to the sound being cranked though.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I think most speakers tend to roll-off around 20kHz, but that doesn't mean they absolutely can't reproduce much higher sounds. Just means they are reproduced at a lower volume. I have no idea what frequencies dogs react to, though.

James T

Screenwriter
My dog only reacted to the horse scene. He was sleeping and the kick woke him up. Other than that, he just slept through the whole movie.

Other than loud sounds, my dog reacts to doorbells from movies/tv.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen The Ring yet, and don't currently have a dog. However, I used to have a dog that would absolutely go nuts howling whenever I played Armagideon Time by The Clash. There's a whistle sound in the song that makes frequent appearances and the dog would go nuts whenever she heard it.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My dog cowered in fear during the early engine room scene in Titanic when I first bought it--the sub quaking scared her. Since then she's become acclimated and only responds to dog barking or the sound of doors being knocked on in a film.

The clicking noise the tv makes when I turn it off will make her wake up from a sound sleep, jump off the sofa, and stand by the patio door to be let out to go potty--she knows that means it's bedtime.

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
...cut off simply to save space.
That is why a lot of sampling rates are set in the 44-48 kHz range. If they increase it, it uses more data space on the disc. Of course, "golden ears" audiophile types claim that even if you can't hear it, you can still feel it, so some soundtracks will be encoded with higher rates.

Ahh, Geez, sorry for getting so technical...:b

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Our dog (a hyperactive Pug) is afraid of low-frequency stuff. SW Ep 2 had her cowering against me during the entire movie just from the low ambient rumbles that went on throughout the film. (Ever since then, she runs under the dining room table whenever I even open the DVD player tray. Sigh.) She likes high-pitched stuff. My wife discovered she loves Elmo on Sesame Street. And we can't watch "Family Feud" (not that we really do anyway) because all the bells, buzzers, etc that are part of the game sound like doorbells in her little pea brain. Nonstop barking. Oh, right. We're supposed to be talking about "The Ring". Sorry. Haven't bought it yet.

"Eight days a week..."
Before you die, you see Ringo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks