What's new

Which test disc for best 5.1 set up? (1 Viewer)

John Walker

Agent
Hi

I am just getting started and would like to calibrate(?) my speaker settings.

I am primarily interested in modern 5.1 (DTS?) set up using a sound pressure meter, test tones, sweeps, sub woofer phase/crossover/placement, phantom center speaker, timbre balance, distance/delay(?), "2.0" audio, etc etc.

It is important the disc cover these things in a 5.1 (DTS?)context and have suitable tests.

Can you suggest a good disc? (If I read the reviews correctly the Avia disc does not cover 5.1, and I can't tell if the S&V disc adaquately covers this with a meter).

Short samples from movies for demo'ing 5.1, DTS, DD, etc would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance

John

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
John,

Both Avia (1999) and S&V (2001) are produced by Ovation and are quite similar except in price. S&V for $16U.S. at amazon.com carries all the tests you want, plus a Dts track (not really necessary) and 6.1 as well as 5.1.

Folks have been waiting to see announcements for the new Avia and Video Essentials calibration disks, and I now see Digital Video Essentials coming in mid-July for approx $19 U.S. HERE It wud be neat to have both S&V and DVE for one's library.

bill

ChadLB

Screenwriter
The avia disc is mainly for Dolby Digital and Video tweaking. The Sound&Vision disc is mainly for Dolby Digital and DTS. For me in the end the only difference between my DD setting and DTS setting was for example DD was -25 and DTS was -29. All my speaker setting stayed the same. So you could go with the Avia disc if you want video tweaking but if it is mainly for sound the S&V will get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks