What's new

Which Terminator 2 to get? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I've never seen the entire First Terminator movie, but I HAVE seen most of T2, and would like to revisit it again. But with the versions out there, I'm not sure wich ones to get. Any ideas?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If you value picture quality over extras, go with the "Extreme Edition". If supplements are more important, go with the "Ultimate Edition". The latter also has the slightly-stronger DTS mix, but I think the DTS and the DD are about the same, so I consider the two to be a wash in that area.

Or - as previously mentioned - you could get both! I'll keep the UE for the supplements but I'll WATCH the EE in the future...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Definitely both. Both editions compliment each other with different extras. I think of it as a 4-disc set.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Get the Ultimate Edition...its better...sure the Extreme has about .0001% more detail...but the UE is just a flat out better disc!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
get both as said in previous posts. The UE has an awesome array of special features that are hard to beat even now

:emoji_thumbsup:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If you have a large display and are sensitive to edge halos, get the Extreme Edition. The Extras on the Extreme Edition are very impressive, although not as extensive as the Ultimate Edition.

Regards,

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
But the Extreme has Cameron's first-ever full-length scene-specific commentary, and it's good.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I also found the Cameron commentary to be enjoyable and a great reason to purchase the extreme edition.

Something else to consider: the ultimate edition has the theatrical version of the film along with two other versions with additional scenes. The ultimate edition has only one version--the special edition that I believe is the director's cut (which is one of the three on the UE).

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The original cut is hidden as an easter egg on the Extreme Edition. I never thought I'd live to see the day when a movies original version was hidden on the disc. :frowning:

Neil

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I agree, Neil. It is a shame. Special editions, director's cuts, extended cuts, etc are all fine with me, but I would prefer to have them along with the original version as well.

I wasn't aware that the EE had that easter egg. How does one access it?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
On the MAIN MENU of DISC 1, highlight the SENSORY CONTROL entry. Press the 'right' arrow on your remote five times. "The Future is Not Set" should now appear on the right-hand side of the screen. Click on it and the menu will morph to give you access to the theatrical cut via seamless branching. (courtesy of DVDEasterEggs.com)

Neil

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Get the Ultimate Edition...its better...sure the Extreme has about .0001% more detail...but the UE is just a flat out better disc!
What size display do you have? The halo-ing is nuts on the UE on my 53" Panny. I'm with those that recommend buying both...

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
In one of those rare cases, I double-dipped and got both the UE and the EE. Triple-dipped if you count the 3-disc Pioneer laserdisc box set (the only thing that didn't make the UE was the Guns 'n' Roses music video), quadruple-dipped if you count the VHS box set.

They both have their merits, so choose your T2 wisely.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I prefer the Extreme Edition as the picture quality is miles above the flawed Ultimate Edition.

Besides the Easter Egg on Disc 1, you can see the theatrical version on Disc 2 in HD on a DVD-ROM drive. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on my PC. :frowning:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In one of those rare cases, I double-dipped and got both the UE and the EE. Triple-dipped if you count the 3-disc Pioneer laserdisc box set (the only thing that didn't make the UE was the Guns 'n' Roses music video), quadruple-dipped if you count the VHS box set.
I can beat that!:)

-Original limited edition CAV LD
-Special Edition LD
-Theatrical cut DD 5.1 LD
-Theatrical cut DVD
-Ultimate Edition DVD
-Extreme Edition DVD

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The Extreme Edition is the one to go with - no brainer decision. The transfer is so much better than the Ultimate. I thought the extras were mostly fluff on the Ultimate, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks