1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Sub inputs to use ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry_R, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Barry_R

Barry_R Stunt Coordinator

I have a 100w Yamaha sub which has both speaker line inputs and direct line (RCA plug) inputs (as most do I suppose). My question is, is either one better to use ? The owners manual doesn't even mention the line inputs. If I use the direct line inputs, does it make difference which one (L or R) since my receiver only has one sub out ? Also, does it make a difference when using the power standby switch ?
    Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

2. John H

John H Second Unit

I would recommend feeding the line level input from your receivers LFE/Sub preout.
    Turn the lowpass filter up to it's maximum position or use the filter bypass if so equipped.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    ...looking through a glass onion

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Barry.
    Short answer: Just run a coaxial cable from the LFE plug on the back of your receiver to either the L or R plug on the sub. They are merged together inside.
    Long Answer: If you run speaker wire to the sub, you must then run wire from the sub to your L/R speakers. This allows the sub to strip off the frequencies it wants, and pass the rest to the speakers. (That low-pass filter knob controls this).
    But what about your center speaker? Or the two rear speakers? When you use speaker wire, these speakers tend to be ignored.
    Your receiver is kind of smart. If you tell it you have a sub, it will route all the following signals out the LFE port:
    • The .1 sounds from a Dolby Digital DVD
    • The low-frequency sounds from all speakers defined as SMALL
    So using the LFE allows it to take over the work for all 5 speakers, not just 2, and all with a single cable.
    Hope this helps.