What's new

Which speakers would you choose? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Deciding bewteen these 2 speakers.
PSB Image 5T and 6T
5T 35-20,000 +/-3 dB 90 dB efficient (anechoic) 175 watts RMS
6T 32-20,000 +/-3 dB 91 dB efficient (anechoic) 200 watts RMS
Both are ported speakers. Both have a 1 inch tweeter. The 5T has two 6.5" woofers, one from 2500 hz to 35hz with a second 6.5" woofer from 500 hz to 35 hz. The 6T is similar but has a third 6.5" driver acting from 500hz to 32hz.
The speakers are similar in size and shape. They are both 8 inches wide and the 5T is 37" H. The 6T is 39" H. The 5T is about 15" deep while the 6T is 20" deep.
I plan to use the speakers with a very competent BPS-400 subwoofer, but I want to be able to listen sometimes without the subwoofer.
The 6T is about $250.00 CAD more expensive after taxes.
Don't tell me to choose the better sounding speaker. I have listened to them both and they are very similar. I believe the 6T is noticabley more efficient and has a bit more bass. The reason I am unsure is because I am considering the 6T for its power handling, greater efficiency and more bass.
Does the fact that the 6T has 3 6.5" drivers potentially make it muddier? I know, you think if I listened to both I should know, right? Well I can't remember noticing that, but realize that something like that might only become noticable after a few months of repeated listening.
Do you think the above differences between the speakers COULD POTENTIALLY be worth $250.00 CAD? Again, this depends on whether you have heard them or not.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Opps. I should have qualified this post. I have already purchased the PSB Image 9C center and 2B surrounds. I am only now deciding on the remaining front speakers between the Image 5 and 6T's. The entire image line is matched and so I am sticking with the same brand and model line all around.
[Edited last by Chris PC on September 15, 2001 at 04:49 PM]

John Chow

Second Unit
I would say 5T because it is cheaper. I am basing this off of the assumption that you would set either set of speakers to 'small'. In this case, your bass would probably be getting crossed over high enough such that the extra 3Hz extension would not make a difference.
I just noticed that you mentioned you planned on listening sometimes without the subwoofer. In that case, you might want to get the 6Ts, since you said you did feel that you could notice the bass difference.
Another note, if you plan on keeping these speakers around for a while, don't let $250cdn stop you from getting the ones you want.
I've only heard the 5T, so I don't know a whole lot about the 6T. If you haven't already, you may want to check the www.audioreview.com website.

Allan F

Agent
I'd have to agree with John. You mentioned that you had perceived three primary differences between the two. I'm not so sure a dB difference in efficiency is a significant difference to worry about. It's more likely you are noting the difference in low frequency output and equating that to a difference in loudness. Chances are if you are going to use them with a good sub, you are going to incorporate a crossover anyhow so the 5T's would be just fine. Just as John mentioned, if you're going to use them alone, the 6T's are probably worth the extra $.
Don't let the $250 stop you if you like the extra low freq extension. There's nothing worse than hindsight. I have the Stratus Silver i's and love them. I hope this helps.
Allan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks