What's new

Which Satellites? Mirage MX or Polk TL150? (1 Viewer)

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
gene c said:
The "problem" with the vsx-52 is that it only allows you to choose one crossover setting for all speaker groups which makes pairing different sized speakers a little harder with Pioneer receivers. I'm surprised I missed that but glad Sam caught it. The Motion 10's are listed as going down to only 65 hz anyway (kind of high for a dual-driver tower speaker) so if you decide to get some of those tiny satellite speakers set the crossover to 100 or 120, borrow that subwoofer or use the BIC you already have. But ideally you should buy surrounds that can go down to at least 100 hz. Then you could use either an 80 or 100 hz crossover setting without worrying too much about it. The center/surrounds usually don't get too much bass response anyway but you still need to be carefull. A good rule of thumb is to set the crossover 10 to 20 db higher then the speakers lower extension to prevent damage.
That "problem" is not just with the 52, but all Pioneers, correct? Basically, any non-Audyssey equipped receiver? I actually went to a local big box store today and picked up an open box Motion 6 and two open box Motion 4s for around $475. Perhaps a little above my budget but couldn't pass up the prices - the 4s were tagged at $125 a pop, which was in error as normal open box discounts are from 10-20%, not 50%. These should do just fine with the 10s, right?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, all Pioneer's...and all Yamaha's. They feel all speakers should be the same size or at least be crossed over at the same point. Which is funny since they both sell speakers in all different sizes :rolleyes: . The Motion 6 only goes to 120 hz but being a center channel speaker I doubt it will be an issue. The Motion 4's go to 70, almost as low as the 10's. I'd set the crossover at 100. I had a vsx-32 for a while and even I liked it quite a bit I shortly there-after found a slightly older vsx-23 on craigslist so I sold the 52. Been using the 23 for a couple of years now and see no reason to replace it.

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
Great advice, thanks! I am working on trying to find a used 8 or C center channel so that I could set my x-over to 80. If I can't find one in the coming week I will use the 6 for now. One of the main reasons I went for the VSX-52 was the price and since this is my first receiver, I have nothing to compare it to so I think the MCACC will seem good to me :) Thanks again for your help - it will definitely help me as I setup and calibrate everything!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You'll not have an issue setting your crossover at 80hz with that center. The only reason to "get a bigger center" would to help out with music.

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
schan1269 said:
You'll not have an issue setting your crossover at 80hz with that center. The only reason to "get a bigger center" would to help out with music.
Thanks for the info!

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
Have any of you had any issues with MartinLogans crapping out and ML not honoring warranty (or doing so after much effort on your part)? Trying to figure out if it is worth spending 50-60 bucks on an extended warranty through the retailer I bought the speakers from.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Martin Logan is one the best speaker brands. There is a reason speaker warranties are 5, 7 or even 10 years. Unless you do something stoopid...it will be 10-15 years before anything possibly happens.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I agree that buying an extended warranty for speakers isn't really necessary, exept maybe for powered subwoofers. Their amps can fail just like any other electronic device. Especially if you do something stupid, like plugging it in with the power switch in the On position :blush: . (opps!).

y2nicco

Grip
Real Name
NK
Thanks as usual, gentlemen. If I register the Motion 4s, 6, and 10s online, my warranty extends to 5 years. That should suffice as it exceeds the 4 year max I would get buy purchasing the third party warranty!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks