What's new

Which receiver to buy this week??? (1 Viewer)

Man, this is just great (sarcasm). I was all set on the Harman AVR-235. Nice price. Had an HK before and it was a nice receiver. Now, a few minutes ago I was introduced to the Pioneer VSX-1014TXK. Any opinions between these two receivers. Looks like a tossup except for the THX badge on the Pioneer. Might have to flip a coin. Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I like the feature set of the 1014TX. Auto-calibration w/ room-eq, video transcoding, PLIIx, and an amp section that measured at an actual 115watts w/ 5 channels driven. The HK 235's auto setup does NOT include a room eq, possibly my fav feature of the 1014TX. I would probably still take the 1014TX over the HK 435. The 635 (auto parametric eq including sub) does, however, seem to be a step up over the 1014TX. The 1014TX was a steal at $500, the clearence prices you can find now are just crazy. It's really an amazing value and I can't think of anything that offers this much bang/buck.

Yeah I was just reading the 20 some odd page long thread about it and I read a lot of your posts regarding this unit. Looks like you really like it. The only complication I can see is the incompatibility with Dish Network's receivers, which I have. It's a tough decision. I've had both a Pioneer and a H/K in the past, loved them both.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If the dish compatibility issue bothers you (and your sure your dish model is affected, not all are) then you might want to wait and see if the newer 1015TX has the same issue. It adds a few more newer features (3 component inputs, WMA9, THX Select2) but the price hasn't hit rock bottom online yet. It's still going for around $450.

Know anything about fotoconnection.com? They have the 1014 for $309 + $29 SH. What the heck? Sounds too good to be true. I thought it was a refurbished unit or something, but it doesn't say so. Anyone ever buy from this place? Good? Bad?

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I don't know anything about fotoconnection.com specifically except what I read on their website. It is evident that they are not an authorized Pioneer dealer. As a consequence, Pioneer will likely not honor their own warranty on the unit. fotoconnection.com does claim to offer a 30 day store warranty on all products they sell.

When purchasing from any unauthorized dealer, not only do you not get a factory warranty, you take a chance that the unit you get is one of the following: in a box which has been opened (not factory sealed), used, refurbished, damaged, has had its serial number removed or obliterated, or worst case scenario, it's a counterfeit. Some folks have purchased audio gear from unauthorized dealers and claim to have been satisfied. Others have had horrible experiences.

For $349 + shipping from onecall.com an authorized Pioneer dealer, you are assured of getting a factory sealed 1014 with a genuine Pioneer warranty.

Yeah Jim, I don't think I want to go unauthorized. Vanns is based here in my hometown, so I might order a 1015 from them instead.

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
I got my 1015 from J&R for $429 shipped. they had the 1014 for $349 + 40 shipping for a total of $389. the $40 difference was worth it to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks