What's new

Which receiver for IL60's (1 Viewer)

John Sand

Grip
I know this is an extremely redundant question on these boards, but please bear with this newbie!
I just purchased a set of IL60's. I have an old Sony POS HCT-450(?) system circa 1995ish. I am wanting to upgrade to a decent and affordable HT setup and don't want to break the bank. I am leaning toward an HK AVR-325, although the 7200 sounds promising. My living room isn't too huge. I have thought about Onkyo..maybe a 601. I will probably get a Nakamichi CD and cassette desk.
I am trying to swing a trade on a Toshiba Theater View 50", but if that falls through, I am going to get a Mitsu 55" that BB sells. I am thinking I'll get Infinity for a center channel and a pair of bookshelf speakers(either JBL or Infinity). I have a buddy who had a pair of Infinity SM150s that he might sell, but I doubt those would work well for surround purposes. I am thinking I won't do a separate sub at this point because I am hoping the ILs subs will provide the bass I need. Maybe not? I will probably do about 2/3 movies and the other 3rd music.
Any input would be appreciated!

John Sand

Grip
I just want to get the best possible sound out of those speakers. I do have a ceiling in the living room area that vaults up into the 20 foot range, vaulting up from where the entertainment center and fronts will sit. I am planning on using the IL60s as fronts and maybe IL10s as rears. I'll probably add a center channel later..and maybe a sub. My DVD player is a Sony NP series progressive and I will more than likely use that as the CD player as well.

Does this sound reasonable? I think that I am down to either the Onkyo SR601 and the HK 325. Any pros and cons from the experts would be appreciated. I am assuming that the ILs will provide enough bass to where I don't need a separate sub in addition to them. I think the ILs are rated down to around 30hz.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Best bet is to audition some of the various receivers with your speakers to see what you like. Most of the mid-fi receivers sound pretty similar. You will see differences in functions and features but they all do a good job. Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer, and H/K are all good and the owners of these products will gladly debate as to whick one is better.

I've tried a few and they are all pretty darn close. Yams have more features, Denons have a nice DAC, and H/Ks are known for power. Since you already have the mains, try a few out. Take advantage of the 30 day trial most retailers offer. Make sure you get a unit with the features you will likely use with your future HT upgrades(video switching, DSP, etc). Remember, your speakers make the biggest difference in your overall sound. Don't expect to be floored by the differences in the receivers.

I got a H/K 7200. I like the power and the price was right. I am a sucker for a good deal.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
H/K is a fabulous match. I've got an AVR8000 for my IL60s. I'd recommmend staying away from brighter-sounding receivers like Panasonic and Yamaha.

John Sand

Grip
Are the Onkyos bright? Specifically, I am torn at this time between the Onkyo 601 and the HK 325.

Shane K

Agent
On the contrary I might almost recommend that you look at a few bright sounding receivers. I have a set of the IL50's with an HK AVR525 and the sound is quite impressive but it's very laid back and neutral. The Interludes are extremely true to the source without adding much coloration. Therefore a brighter sounding receiver may bring out a bit more of the top end of the acclaimed CMMD tweeter. (The low end is fabulous, although, especially when calibrated with RABOS)

Only you can tell for sure what sounds best but if you can, I would get a hold of both an HK and a brighter receiver of sorts like a Yamaha or Onkyo and compare with your speakers. You may be pleasantly suprised one way or another. You should be happy either way though so have fun. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kinger

John Sand

Grip
My ILs haven't arrived yet, so I can't audition anything at home yet. I am at the very early stages of piecing this together. You guys are great though! It is killing me to wait for this stuff, but I am glad that there is a place like this to do my research ahead of time!
My tv deal fell through, which I don't really care about since it was 4:3, so I have to look a tv now. I am leaning toward Mitsu on that. I'll have to make sure my receiver has the best connections for that. I think I'll add a pair of IL10s and call it good at this point. My room isn't that big, so I'll probably have enough sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks