Which Pre-Pro to buy for $2000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roger Kaufmann, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

Currently I'm using:

Sony 333ES receiver for Pre-Amp
    Earthquake 5 channel Cinenova Grande Amp
    B&W Matrix 805's for front 3 channels
    NHT surrounds
    Sunfire True Subwoofer MK II
    Panasonic DVD Player (not progressive for my Analog TV)
    Sony VCR that just sits there collecting dust 99% of the time
    Sony DirecTIVO SAT-T60 35 hour
    Mitsubishi 45" Analog RPTV
    Marantz RC5000 remote
    mostly Monster Interconnects and cabling.

I've been wanting a new Pre-Pro ever since I got the Cinenova however finances have been tight. I can now spend about $2000 and have been thinking about a used Lex. MC-1. My usage habits are:
    70% DirecTIVO
    20% DVD's
    10% Music

I'm open to suggestions, I haven't auditioned the Lex however it has such a great reputation I'm considering it seriously and yes I know this is foolish.

Please let me know what your recommendations are.

TIA,
    Roger K.

2. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

I assume you digital out from tivo to your receiver?

if that is not the case, most of the time your not really using that much sound processing and are limited to tv analog...

if you are digitaling out, and 70% of your usage is tivo, i am not sure i would recommend spending up to get the lexicon...

if it were my money, i would look at the marantz, the outlaw, the rotel, and some of the adcoms, all are good values for the money....

good luck

rich

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Roger, are you upgrading because you don't like the outcome with the 333ES or you are upgrading to get the latest sound formats?
    A lot of people are using the DA4ES as a prepro and are very happy with it and since music is not very important (10%) then the 4ES should suit you just fine. It has enormous amount of tweaking capabilities and is future upgradable, etc. and can be had for less than $700.
    Your other options would be the Rotel 1066 prepro around $1350 if you want a pure prepro or, I have heard the Anthem can be had for around $2300. Given your budget, you certainly have many choices but if music is your least priority then a pure prepro might be an overkill IMHO.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Or, you could get a deal on a B&K Ref50.

7. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

Guy's,

Thanks for the replies, the reason I was thinking of the Lex was Logic 7 mostly. The other modes it has don't really appeal to me, I spoke to the president of Earthquake some time ago and he recommended the MC-1 which is another reason it interested me. The connection from the Tivo to the current receiver is optical digital and the connection from the dvd player is digital coax. I'm not crazy about the sound of the Sony, it sounds bright to me. I was hoping the Lex would warm that up some, any thoughts on that anyone? Also I think I'm missing sound detail when listening to dvd's.

8. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

Used Lexicon. The best in the HT business.

9. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

Or get the HK AVR8000 receiver which also has logic 7 along with every other surround format and use it as a prepro. If ever you need 5 good assignable amps you are covered with this receiver. Just bought one but haven't had time to play with it yet[​IMG]

10. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

nad s170
    krell
    b&k
    lexicon of course if you can afford it

i also have the cinemanova 3ch, i'm using a h/k 520 right now and sounds great but soon upgrading to the nads170 which is BEAUTIFUL in music and extremely dynamic in HT

11. TomH

TomH Second Unit

I really enjoy the DVDs that offer 6.1 DTS-ES or DD-EX. In a reasonable size room it can make a big difference. I strongly recommend something that offers the newer formats.
    If you can find the Anthem for $2300 it certainly deserves an audition.

12. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Roger,

Im in the same boat, I have a Rotel 1055 but am getting a Rotel 1070 amp for Chritistmas. Combined with my Rotel 985mkII 5 channel amp I finally have enought amp channels to go to a real preamp not a receiver used as one.

The problem is the Anthem is out of my price range and all the others (Outlaw, Rotel)in my $$$ range have some BM isues.

I have been thinking about getting a used Ref 30, they can be found for under $1500 and are getting cheaper. I figure I can sell the 1055 and get into the Ref 30 for under $500 after the Holidays.