What's new

which one would you choose (1 Viewer)

If you could get either of these two for the same price:

1. Brand new Sony NS700P or

2. Factory refurbished Pioneer Elite DVC-36

My dilema is that I think the Pioneer is probably better built being an Elite and is a 5 disc (not a big deal), however, it is refurbished.

On the Sony side, it has true 3:2 pull down (I don't believe the Pioneer does, nor do the JVC's, at least that's my understanding).

I'd like to hear other's opinions.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
How about neither.

Both players are subject to the chroma bug problem plaguing many MPEG-2 decoder chipsets.

Try a Panasonic RP-56 (although it has an improperly implemented SAGE/Faroudja de-interlacer which could turn out to be as bad as the chroma bug).

The best overall player right now that isn't a HUGE amount of dough is the Panasonic RP-91 (no chroma bug), which also includes DVD-Audio playback. Also very easily upgraded via free downloaded software burned onto a CD-R or CD-RW then inserted into the player to update the firmware. The latest software upgrade v. 236 also seems to improve somewhat the progressive scan performance of the Genesis de-interlacing chip.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks