What's new

Which Monster speaker cable is 12 guage? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I need to get new speaker wire for my surround speakers. I'm looking for 12 guage wire that I can add banana connectors to. I know Home Depot and other places have cheaper wire, but since I have Monster cable all around my system, I want to stick with that. I'll need 30 to 40 feet for each speaker.

Thanks,

Brian

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The OMC(original monster cable) is 12GA, they also have a braided/twisted 12GA, don't remember what the name is. Can't you tell by the shielding if it's 12GA? It's thick!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Brian,

If you can afford a better brand like Audioquest, you will be well rewarded. The normal Monster cable does not sound very good.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Trying to get a number from Monster as to what their wire gauges are is very difficult as I've yet to receive hard numbers from email correspondence with them. There are a variety of commercial sources for 12 gauge copper and I believe you'll find that SoundKing available at PartsExpress.com to be very well priced. I recall reading that Carol makes Home Depot's 12 gauge. As far as sonic differences between cable it has yet to be proven that given two wires, one being anything that's out there and the other being conventionally stranded copper of a similar length and gauge, listeners can reliably be able to differentiate between the two during level-matched, unsighted evaluations. For an example, see Link Removed
This simple fact is not lost upon both manufacturers of specialty wire and and the reviewing community who conveniently choose to omit such critical listening in their ads or reviews.
Monster tends to use thicker jackets than most 12 gauge OF copper wire and this gives the impression of a thicker gauge. If you or someone gets a reply from Monster as to what gauge their different brands are, I'd love to see it posted.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Chu,
You said,
This simple fact is not lost upon both manufacturers of specialty wire and and the reviewing community who conveniently choose to omit such critical listening in their ads or reviews.
While we always disagree on these sonic differences, I have a hard time understanding why you must bring this up with every cable post. Would it not be more productive to just let those who want better cable tap into the collective wisdom of the Forum for some good, independent recommendations?
While I don't dispute your right to express a view point, it seems it would be better off if you started a post specifically on sonic differences and let people opt in on the discussion.
That way, we could get a more defined, more deeply technical discussion. Alas, it would likely be inconclusive until some listening tests were done.
Is this not a better way to proceed for both of us, even if we are on different sides?
By the way, I left a long post in Music on my recording background that also addresses some of my cable philosophy if you are interested.
:)
I say all of this toward getting a more convenient forum for cable purchases where we don't have to retrace past "sonic difference" arguments. I'm even happy if an administrator wants to post on the forum that this is a controversial area with some believing each side of the argument.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Buckstead's original query had to do with finding a suitable Monster product, 12 gauge, for his surrounds. Surrounds mind you that often I've heard even 'audiophiles' state is not a big issue given the nature of the signals fed through to the back. Mr. Buckstead for reasons of preference chooses to stick with Monster and that is fine, as I've seen Monster honor their warranties and that can be done at a number of locations throughout the United States often at the cost of a simple car drive and without the attendent hassles of shipping. Mr. Buckstead did not ask to tap into the collective wisdom for searches of 'better cable' although your comment basically told him that Monster cable didn't sound good. Mine basically said if you read it correctly, that it sounds fine and that it, as well as even lesser expensive brands that don't have an advertising machine in back of them, as well as more expensive brands. Audioquest...I'll tell you what I like about them...I like the idea of welding terminations...done properly should last a long time. Had I suggested Kimber, no doubt I'd have received silent nods from the 'cognoscenti'. Monster's thicker insulation is done for a number of reasons...it makes the wire inside look bigger (magnification effects due to the wire acting as a lens), pvc is cheaper than copper (economic decision), it taps into creating a sensation of robustness (marketing decision) which consumers then relate to the name of the company, and it allows for product differentiation. I do wish Monster would prominently make it known up front what their various wire gauges are, but there are marketing reasons why that is not done. BTW, did Cardas ever get back to you on what the effective gauge of his cable is that you prefer to use?
Lee, I love ya, but you brought sonic differences into the post. I agree with the approach for listening tests and provided a link to the results of one such test. I also suggest that people who are interested in reading about testing, turn to google and navigate to http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...roup=rec.audio there they can do a search on their usenet archive and read posts from kimber, zinser, nousaine, and a host of others. it gets a little bloody but as Richard Farnsworth said in 'The Natural', 'it eats pretty good'.
Please give me the link for your post, I'd love to read it.
Controversy is good. It lets us explore.
My best to you and yours as always :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks